Homeschooling without being online cheaply, is that possible?

Because of my oldest daughters medical issues and learning disabilities, I want to homeschool my children without the internet, is that possible? I know that it is called individual study, but all the ones that I have found were outregous in cost. Is there a cheaper way, as I am on a limited income and cannot afford to pay hundreds of dollars per child to homeschool. I have looked online for weeks now to try and find something. My favorite is LifePac, but it is almost $300 per child and I simply cannot afford that at the moment. Please help! Any advice or suggestions would be great. Thank you And GOD bless

Abeka is a very popular homeschool curriculum and it is inexpensive.

The library is a great resource for every subject! I also have found many used textbooks from thrift stores. If you are willing to plan it for yourself it can be nearly free! As far as a set program goes, you can get English, math, and spelling through Rod and Staff for a very reasonable price.

4 Likes

Rod and staff and Christian Light are both inexpensive. you can also opt to print curriculum from free sites like Ambleside, Guest Hollow, etc.

1 Like

Hi @sweetmom
Here are ideas for you. There are some online resources mentioned here, but there are also ideas for used curriculum and other inexpensive ways to gather materials and lots of educational ideas too :smile: Hope that helps some!

1 Like

Thank you all for all of your suggestions, I will get on it right now and go and check them all out. I appreciate it so very much

1 Like

There is also an option called delight directed learning I don’t know if you have heard of this before. With this method you pull out your own books and use your library to it’s fullest which keeps costs down. I think the only thing you would need then is a Math curriculum. I use CLE which is about $34 per child and teachers guides are about $9 each. You could look at something like First Language Lessons for Grammar or something like that. I was in the same boat as you when I started with a $500 budget for the year I had 2 children in the same grade which really helped. Also finding curriculum you can use with multiple children really helps. I am now schooling 3 children and the more subjects we can do as a family the more we save. Sorry this is a long post but last but not least have you looked into note booking? This can also help keep down costs. I don’t know your particular needs but I hope some of these options can work for you!

1 Like

Another option is to call your county board of education. Where I live, if I ask, I can borrow textbooks and use “consumables” (Workbooks that we keep) for her appropriate grade level. You are teaching the school’s set curriculum - at home and at your child’s pace. You do NOT need to pay to use those books, because your tax dollars did that. While it isn’t always the “best” option, it is certainly the most affordable and doesn’t require internet access.

@KathiJohnson I wish that it could be an option, unfortunately neither of my daughter’s have books for all of their classes. It is ridiculous, that they do not have books. In my oldest daughter’s math class there is no book and my youngest daughter has no science or social studies book. I may be able to talk to the school and see if there are curriculums that they go by instead, I know they use a lot of handouts when they do not have a book. Thank you for your suggestion I appreciate it very much.

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I looked up delight directed learning and was very fascinated by what it had to say. I have to get a few things, but I think that this would be cheap enough for me to be able to obtain for my children.

1 Like

So glad I could help! :slight_smile: Let me know how everything goes with you guys this year whether you choose this method or not.

1 Like

I will and thank you again @Proverbs31… I appreciate the concern and the kindness

1 Like

Please look at Guest Hollow and Easy Peasy Homeschool. Both are absolutely free. EP has day by day lesson plans and almost everything can be found at the library. You can by-pass the optional video clips.

Blessings to you!

1 Like

Thank you @Tchrmom, I appreciate that