Homeschooling with a chronic illness?

Hi, I would love to know how other homeschoolers homeschool with a chronic illness. Can you share on schedules, curriculums, tips that you might have. I experience a lot of overall pain and fatigue (to name a few) and so homeschooling is different for us. Would love to hear from y’all and will also be praying! :smiley:

2 Likes

I also have a chronic illness and experience those same symptoms. On the days that I am feeling good we have a normal school day. We save game days and movie days for when I don’t feel so great. I can lay in bed or on the couch and play games (educational of course) and watch movies. There have been times that I have been in the hospital, and the kids had to sit there and do school work. It is not always the most ideal situation, but God never gives us more than we can handle and will always help us figure things out!

3 Likes

J, Thank you for sharing. I’m sorry that you are sick. There are days I too cannot even get out of bed but we also read or I give them things to like worksheets or watch educational tv or even educational computer games. It’s soooo hard but not impossible. Thank God today we have so many tools that we can utilize.

1 Like

As a momma of many (six kids with another on the way), along with multiple medical issues, I can definitely empathize with difficulties, yet also proclaim that God has seen us through many many trials! We went through a period where I literally was passing out everyday! On the days when things are bad, my older children are required to do their math and english. Math U see is great for this, in that they watch their videos and then do the work. With teaching elementary school right now, the other subjects will eventually come, but I want the foundations of math and english to be there. As far as schedule - we school year round. This allows us to take nice days off for fun days, as well as gives us some wiggle room for when things are too stressful. Hope this helps!

1 Like

I have dealt with Fibromyalgia for going on almost 10 years now. It’s hard. There are days when I am spot on, have the energy and strength and other days, just getting up to shower is hard…throw in homeschooling? WHEW! There are hard moments for sure. I try to keep those days light, easy and low key. Our daughter is 4, so naturally she is a ball of energy, but she is slowly learning how to handle mommy’s bad days. Having my husband to help is a life saver as well. Remember as homeschoolers we have that freedom to take a relaxed learning day. Maybe watch educational videos or interactive games for the kiddos (Leap Pad, Kindle, etc) Praying for your hard days!!

Hugs - I suffer from migraines and exhaustion, so I understand where you are coming from… We usually make it through the morning and then the afternoon is filled with playing with games and legos… watching documentaries, etc. Even though we might get a solid 3 hours in… he will get there.

hudson, it sounds like you have a pretty good grip on what works for you. I have been thinking about year round before but have not done enough research. I’m gonna have to get on that. I wish you the best and many blessings. Thank you for sharing. :smiley:

I found this post from a mom who also homeschools with a chronic illness. I thought some things were interesting and helpful including some books that might help. Hope this helps! Blessings. Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling With A Chronic Illness

1 Like

Thank you so much for this post! I’ve struggled with chronic pain for years and just this summer was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I’m currently pregnant, which for whatever reason tremendously seems to help my pain level so I’m doing great at the moment. When I’m not pregnant, I take full advantage of the good days and try the best I can on the bad. Semi-bad days usually involve school from the sofa and I nap when the little kids nap if I need to. On the very worst of days, I will have them do as much as they can independently, and then we will play catch up the next day and sometimes we end up having to do school on Saturday on those weeks, but that’s ok because my kids don’t even really care about the weekend…Saturday’s just another day to us since my husband works a lot of weekends anyway. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! Year round has helped tremendously for us, because I never know when I am going to have a bad day! Migraines, Fibromyalgia and Conn’s Disease, and Adrenal Fatigue are the biggest plagues of my days… Surgery has pretty much fixed the Conn’s Disease, praise God, but my body is still in recuperating mode.
I wish you the best as well! God will provide a way that is right for your family and individual needs!

1 Like

This is something that I worry about myself. I suffer from Fibromyalgia, Degenerative, disc disease, and bipolar depression to name just a few. I am planning on homeschooling this next school year and that is something that my children brought to my attention. I am just so excited to homeschool that I had not thought about it. I think that am going to have to plan for days like this before they happen, because on my bad days, it is hard for me to even think. I appreciate you bringing this up @Minimex3 and knowing that I am not alone does help so very much and knowing that we can get through these days and they too shall pass. GOD bless everyone and I wish us all the best in the coming school year

1 Like

I battle with Bipolar Disorder and sometimes IT wins. I wouldn’t be able to accomplish what we need to without homeschooling year round. That way the bad days are just days off. I also don’t homeschool during high-stress periods…like holidays, etc. I don’t handle stress well. I can get overwhelmed and then just end up with the covers over my head…which accomplishes nothing! I think it is about knowing yourself and what works for you. My therapist is constantly telling me “don’t beat yourself up.” In other words, accept you will not be all you want to be on some days…or even some weeks. Just do what you can. And that includes saying “NO”…even to the good things…in order to have energy for the best things.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing @Sweetmom and @debp74 . I’ve searched high and low on the internet for more encouragement and really couldn’t find any for homeschooling moms with chronic illness. This has opened up a whole new world for me. And you’re so right @Sweetmom - it is nice knowing we’re not alone. I like what you said, @debp74 that sometimes our illness or situation just wins. And like you, I have a hard time dealing with stress. But we have to try and not beat ourselves up too much. As moms we do that quite a bit sometimes. I wish you all the best and pray that God will strengthen you wherever you are on your journey. :grin:

1 Like

I’m so thrilled to see so many of you sharing about what your homeschooling journey looks like. While I wish there wouldn’t have to be posts like this because it saddens me to hear about your illnesses, it does make me feel encouraged that homeschooling our babies is possible even when we think it can’t be done. Please keep the encouragement and tips coming. March on ladies!!! And may God bless you all…xoxoxoxo

1 Like

I’m so encouraged to see that other homeschool moms deal with depression/bipolar, etc. My FORMER pediatrician told me that since I deal with some of those issues as well, I had no business homeschooling until “properly medicated” (she had no clue what my diagnosis/medication situation was, either. Totally just made assumptions. What was crazy about it was that she was basing this off of a visit where I was obviously feeling anxious and a bit overwhelmed (I was nervous and almost in tears) with my 3 littles acting really wild because we’d been sitting in the waiting room for THREE HOURS at lunch/nap time. I have never, ever been told anything like that and it made me feel like a total nut job, when all I was doing was simply feeling a bit overwhelmed with my 3 kids being super cranky at a doctor’s office.

1 Like

Unfortunately there are so many doctors that do not understand what you go through and they are quick to jump to conclusions, because they think that they know the whole situation. It makes me so aggravated when people do this let alone doctors that don’t even treat you. I understand completely, I am fortunate that all of my children see the same family doctor as I do and she is understanding. I send encouragement, it can be greatly frustrating.

So glad to see this thread. I am often anxious about what will happen on the days I just can’t do lessons. And then I start that horrible what if thinking, which never leads to anything good. It helps to know I’m not alone.

1 Like

Hi y’all…I’ve been trying to get on here and see what others have shared and I’m so encouraged. I recently had to deal with a strong flare and have been on some strong meds. Been trying to play catchup and take care of myself. It’s been up and down but I’m still working on it. I just wanted to encourage you today who are struggling or are in pain. I pray for better days and for the strength that we need to care for our families. Blessings you you all. :blush:

1 Like

I hope that you are able to recover quickly from your flare. I am trying to stay positive. There is so much going on, some days I feel as though I am about to lose it. I am going to school for my Master’s Degree on top of getting things together for homeschooling this fall and adding another child to homeschool, so now there are 5 and meeting my oldest daughter’s boyfriend for the first time, all my doctor appointments, and on and on and on… :smile: in the back of my mind I am hoping that I do not fall on my face and that I am able to carry all of this on my shoulders…

@Sweetmom you can do it!!! Prioritize, only do what’s most important to you and your family, and take care of yourself!!

1 Like