Homeschooling and state standards

Hi Everyone,

How closely do you homeschool to state standards required for that grade? I’m really nervous that I won’t meet each and every learning requirement because I’m having a hard time finding curriculum for my kiddos that will meet them all. It seems as though I’ll have to purchase a couple years worth of the same subject just to cover everything they’re supposed to learn this year, or I’ll have to purchase multiple curriculum to fill in all the gaps. I didn’t want to do that because it’s my first year and I feel like having too many to follow will be extremely overwhelming. I’m in Tennessee, and they only have to take state standardized testing in 5th, 7th, and 9th, but I just want to make sure they won’t be behind when they have to take the tests.

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi! You’ll want to check with your own state to make sure you’re following their requirements. You can usually find the information from your local school district. You can also check www.hslda.org they have information for each state on their website as well.

Erica

1 Like

I would encourage you to talk with a local or state homeschool group in Tennessee to really find out what you have to do. I just wanted to say–don’t homeschool from a place of fear over this, and don’t try to do more than what you’re actually required to do. (Sometimes it’s easy to read the “education-ese” and think it means something more than what you actually need to do to meet the requirement.) I hope you have a good year teaching your little ones!

1 Like

Every state is different of course, but I would keep in mind that just because they teach a standard, doesn’t mean that the students are mastering that concept. IMO, public schools do a great job on introducing a wide range of skills, but only focus on mastering a few of them. I think if you choose any solid curriculum, you should be good. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Merry,

Thank you so much for your response. It really lifted me and helped me breathe a little easier. I’ve been pulling from a million resources to try to meet these “standards” and felt completely overwhelmed. I hope you have a great year as well!!

1 Like

Hi Jessica,

I 100% agree with you on the public school system just touching on skills and not mastering and that is a huge part of why we decided to homeschool! Thank you so much for your response I really appreciate it!

1 Like

Hi! You may want to just check with your local school district to see if they have specific recommendations. Also check https://hslda.org/legal/tennessee they have information for all 50 states on requirements. They may also be able to help make sure you’re meeting requirements.
Erica

1 Like