Homeschool in the Woods Time Travelers

Can someone please tell me what size binder I should use for the student and for the teacher stuff. It’s the little things in life that keep me up all night!

1 Like

Hi @AnnaB!
I use 1 1/2 " binders for teacher and the thinnest you can find for student.
I store the lesson and the project pages in the teacher’s binder, as well as the printed materials for the projects. I only put the finished work in the student’s binder. So the sizes above work well for doing it this way.
Don’t forget to get the type that has clear sleeves on front and side of the binders so that you can place in the covers and spines that you’ll print also.
Have fun! :wink: :cherry_blossom:

@AnnaB Something else you might want to consider buying are these pocket folders (image below; I’m not sure if that’s what they’re called). I buy them at the Dollar Tree store. There are two types at the store.
One package contains 3 single pockets but they are narrower. The other one is a deeper pocket and the package contains 2 and these also have a design on the flap. The first type would hold your lapbook but not the file folder games, so the latter one is the better option if you want to store it all together. I also store the little extras like game pieces, etc., in sandwich bags and place them in the pocket as well.
And for your teacher binder, a set of tab dividers is nice to have too.

Thanks for the tips! I will be doing this with a co-op. Yes I know about the co-op pricing. I was wondering how many plastic folders will be needed per student. One, maybe two? I have to figure out materials costs.

Oh and how much does the plastic folder expand. 1 inch, 2 inch? I can’t find the designed folders on amazon. I figure I just need to make sure it’s expandable, but I don’t want it too expandable and bulky.

@AnnaB, The plastic folders aren’t a necessity but they are really nice to store everything in.
They don’t expand much, about an inch I would say. It’s enough to keep it all in.
Each student would need only one. I hope this helps. :blossom:

Hi!
I was thinking about using this curriculum next year for my daughter. She will be going into 6th grade. Long story short…we have used MFW for several years and I absolutely love it. However, my son will be going into 9th grade and my daughter is def not ready for that yet and I really didn’t want to start completely over so I’ve been trying to find fun alternatives for history. She has already study everything from creation to modern times so I’m trying to find something to refresh her memory but not be to intense since she will be learning it more in depth in high school. (not really that short of a story sorry) I came across this curriculum and it looked interesting but I wanted to hear what people that have used it thought about it. I would appreciate any information you are willing to give me.

Thanks!

Hi @csuttermedic!
Time Travelers has been a lot of fun as well as informative.
As you might already know, each unit has 25 lessons taking 5 weeks to complete. However, one of the lessons in each week is simply designed for catching up and the last two lessons of the unit are for putting together the lapbook and having a feast.

Each lesson is 2 or 3 pages long, short and easy to cover, giving a brief introduction to each topic. The activities are what really stand out in this curriculum. They are designed to really give the child a feel for what things were like during the time being studied, allowing the child to feel like they are in that time of history (at least that’s what’s been happening here at our home!).

Some of the activities are work to be done on paper and placed in a notebook/binder and some saved for the lapbook. There is a lot of printing to be done but if you tackle it ahead of time then it is stress free. Some of the other activities are more involved, like cooking, doing needle work, dehydrating, painting, etc. These are the most fun to work on and make the study complete.

We have taken a lot longer to work through each unit as we add in a lot of literature from Truthquest History and from the resource list provided with each unit of Time Travelers. Also we have found some of the activities to take longer than one day to complete. So I have chosen to not stress over getting it all done too quickly and allowing time for them to really learn, both from their readings and the activities.

Considering your daughter will be in 6th grade, you could take two years or so to work through Time Travelers, if you chose to, and then save the last year before high school for the Project Passport (World History) units. If your daughter can work faster than my children, it is possible to finish all of the Time Travelers units in one year. Some things to think about.

I hope this has been helpful! Let me know of any questions you might have. :blossom: