History / Geography / Science DVD Suggestions

Hello! I was wondering if anyone had any DVD suggestions for History / Geography / and Science. (Really any educational subject.) If I need to spend 1 on 1 time with one of the kids, I like to pop something educational in for the others to watch. We love Wild Kratts, and Carmen San Diego. But I would love more suggestions so that I can add to our collection. Thanks!

1 Like

The Learn Our History series, Liberty Kids (history) & The Magic School Bus (science) dvds are some of my kids favorites.

2 Likes

We have really enjoy the American History for Children series. Our library has these. You can search online for them but they are tricky to find (probably because of the generic title) but they are published by Schlessinger Media, so including that in your search will help you locate them. They are about 25 mins. each and my kids (grades 1 and 3) have loved watching them over and over (even though they are very basic from what I can tell). Here is an Amazon link to one: http://www.amazon.com/American-History-Children-EARLY-SETTLERS/dp/B001FBLQYC/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1441080996&sr=1-3&keywords=American+History+for+Children+Schlessinger

We also really like Animated Hero Classics. We have watched Pocahontas, William Bradford, and Christopher Columbus. My kids enjoy the quizzes at the end that they can interact with. There are many of these available on various historical figures!

Also, Bill Nye the Science Guy is still around! LOL! I found his videos at our library the other day (he was around when I was a kid! lol!) My kids really liked watching his video though! We were studying reptiles and I brought it home! Go figure! :slight_smile:

These are the few I can think of off the top of my head right now. When I think of more I’ll add them here!

4 Likes

We bought the complete Magic Schoolbus series! My kids LOVE it!! It’s perfect for young kids :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much @sonrisemom @Forchristandkids @melissa228 - I am currently looking up all those great suggestions!

Keep the ideas coming! :wink:

1 Like

I second the Liberty Kids suggestion! On Netflix we watched Reading Rainbow and the Leap Frog cartoons for younger kids. Netflix also has a bunch of documentary type shows on lots of topics. (If you have very young kids they may seem boring, but there are many that kids maybe 4th grade and up would enjoy. Some are: Natures Great Events, Ocean Giants, Life Stories, The Life of Birds, How the States Got Their Shapes, Elephants: Spy in the Herd, Wildest Africa, Our World War, D-Day, Vietnam in HD, The Men Who Built America, Egypt, America: The Story of Us. (An awesome documentary series from the start of the U.S. to present.) If you have Amazon Prime there are many cool documentary series on there as well.

2 Likes

Also for young kids on Netflix: Word World and Little Einsteins cartoons & Mister Rogers Neighborhood.

2 Likes