High School Science - What's Next?

My tenth grader just finished a course in Biology. I chose Apologia and have been satisfied, for the most part, with the curriculum. This study carried us through ninth grade year and into tenth. I am now looking to begin another Science course. Would Physical Science be the next step? If so, would anyone be able to suggest a curriculum? My concern with purchasing Apologia again would be the Modules that seem to be very long. I would hope to find shorter “chapters” that offer test closer in span.

I believe with Apologia that their physical science course is generally done before their biology course. We found Apologia to be quite full, ourselves. If you’re looking for a physical science course, you could look at PAC’s Integrated Physics and Chemistry. They have 12 chapters, consisting of a text booklet and an activities booklet for each chapter. They are well written and solid in coverage of the topic. It doesn’t include a lab, but I would think it wouldn’t be hard to incorporate a lab kit alongside, if desired. Timberdoodle Co. suggests the use of the Physics 101 dvd, and Chemistry 101 dvd to go along with this course, though you wouldn’t need them for credit. They would just add another audio/visual perspective on the material. Heart of Dakota also offers a lab kit that they have chosen as a go along to this course, too. Best wishes! :slight_smile:

I agree, Physical Science is generally a course taken before Biology (that’s how Apologia has it in its lineup).

You do have some freedom with high school science. Most colleges want to see at least biology and chemistry as 2 of the 3 sciences (and would want at least 2 sciences to be lab sciences). More rigorous requirements would want Physics as the third science and/or 1-2 advanced sciences.

If your student is wanting to go on in a STEM fields, you may want to follow the “standard” track of biology-chemistry-physics-advanced science, unless your student has a particular interest or bent that makes you want to choose differently.

If your student is not wanting to go on in a STEM field, then, consider getting chemistry in during high school at some point, but also look towards science courses that interest your student (astronomy, geology, meteorology, natural hazards, oceanography, etc…)

Chemistry will usually require a student has at least mastered Algebra 1 first.

2 Likes

Thank you both very much! This helpful information has steered me in a different direction for the next Science step. I appreciate your time and wisdom in this.