Explaining Child's Grade Level

As homeschoolers, it’s not uncommon to have children in different levels of their school work. When asked what grade your child is in, and they are all over the place in grade level work, how do you answer? I ask because I am already seeing this with our daughter. She would be Kindergarten this fall according to public school, but her grade level work, at the moment, already ranges from late Kindergarten to 2nd grade level. People say, “Oh, are you in preschool?” and our daughter says, “No, I’m in Kindergarten and 1st grade.” Naturally I get the stink eye and the ‘you’re daughter shouldn’t be doing work like that’ comment, LOL, and have to explain that we go completely at her pace, if she wants to do more we do, if she wants to break we do, there is NO pushing what so ever. How would you state what grade your child is in without being “braggy” and try to avoid the cliche comments? To clarify, as far as when the details do come up. We are good with the simple, “Oh Kindergarten” But she was recently asked what she’s learning and our daughter told them, then it snowballed into a discussion about what levels she is at and such. So I guess how to kindly explain the details when they do come up. (Edited from original post to clarify)

Short and sweet–grade by her age-level. It’s no one’s business what level of work she is doing, whether she’s ahead, behind etc…

Discuss that with close friends or relatives (if you want), but there’s no need to bring it up with most people.

For things like Sunday School, Y or Park District activities, outside classes, sports, activities etc…, what they really want to know when they ask your child’s grade is “how old is she.” They want to know she’ll be in with other kids about her age. And most individuals, when they ask what grade a child is in, simply want to know that too.

Saves on a lot of complicated conversations!

8 Likes

We just say what grade they are in overall/should be for their age. For example Tinker Bell does 5th grade reading but technically she’s in 3rd grade. When asked, she tells people she’s in 3rd grade. I don’t think it’s necessary to go into detail since it can vary depending on their skill level. Just a simple “I’m in 3rd grade” will suffice. And most people asking are just being courteous, and don’t expect a full detailed account of your child’s school work anyway. :smile:

6 Likes

I guess I should clarify, as far as when the details do come up. We are good with the simple, “Oh Kindergarten” But she was recently asked what she’s learning and our daughter told them, then it snowballed into a discussion about what levels she is at and such. So I guess how to kindly explain the details when they do come up. @Merry this clarification also is for you too :wink:

If you are questioned again about what she is learning or why maybe you could say, “She’s in kindergarten, but she has a special interest in (whatever subject/topic) that she’s currently exploring”-and just say that. Its simple and I don’t think that sounds braggy, and it still gives your little one credit for her hard work and interests!

4 Likes

@Jenny- I agree that is an awesome way to do it! Good call! :slight_smile:

I agree completely and we are in the same boat as well with all of our kiddos. They are all Oct babies and miss the public school “cutoff” by just a few weeks. There’s no way I was waiting abother year to start K work with our oldest when he had already mastered PK things. So we started “kindergarten” with him last fall when he turned 5 and he has done very well. Our 4yo son was supposed to be doing PK things but ended up following along with brother (they’re just 12 mos. apart) and I didn’t bother to stop it. I didn’t force it either, but definitely saw no reason to stop it. Now, our 5 yo is soaring with math and numbers (more than I could have ever expected!) and is very ready to move on. His reading is still more on a 5 yo level so I imagine we’ll be reviewing some things there for a while but that’s ok! And the 4yo is learning right there with him, as is our 2yo! So, I’m not sure we’ll really use firm grade levels either. I know the work they’re doing on they’re own pace and that’s what matters to me. It is hard when people question you though…especially family. And I have a very dear friend who’s son is the same age as our 4yo but is in public PK and she is ALWAYS comparing work and accomplishments. I always dread the conversation when she starts out “what’s he learning right now?”. But I try to tell her what we’re doing may not be the same thing her son is doing in public school and try to help her see that that is ok. Not every child will always fit into a nice “grade level” box…not even the public school kids! Trust me, I was a teacher! :smile:

1 Like

My older son sweetly tells people that he and his brother are homeschooled and that they should ask me, their teacher, what grade they are in. Most people around here understand the variables in level so they just laugh and then ask if he is studying a particular thing. Then the subject and learning discussion gets going and really gets to be fun for all.

We do by grade level according to how we reported it to the state. I don’t even tell them when they are doing work that is ‘off’ the grade level.

3 Likes

So, I’m early on to this, but what I’ve found is totally in agreement with everyone else. I’ve begun just saying the grade that aligns with her age. Simply because my daughter is almost a full grade level ahead of her peers in all subjects. But whenever I state this to people, I get the stank eye. I even got disapproving, somewhat underhanded, comments from my parents and in-laws even. I got the impression people thought I was pushing her, when in fact, she is just driven and smart. She works completely at her own pace. I teach as she is ready. So I"ve found it easier to just simply say that she’s in the grade that matches with her age.

1 Like