I have used Expedition Earth in a 1-3 grade co op class. It was a really great class, the kids loved it.
The class was 55 minutes once a week so I had to just pick a few things to cover for each country. (I did one country per week).
This is what a typical class looked like:
- As the children came in they colored in their flag page (I had a sample on the table so they knew which colors went where)
- As a class we located the country on a big world map.
- We learned how to say hello and thank you in that countries language.
- I had them glue on the information to the country info page. (Where they write in the capital, language, religion etc.).
I typed up papers for them to just glue into that box because I realized that it took up way to much time for them to write in all that info during class.
- Read country info from Trip Around the World or Another Trip Around the World books.
- Read the page for that country from Children Just Like Me
- Read Fun Facts Page
*For #5,6 & 7 I wouldn’t read every thing on every page because there wasn’t enough time. I would just read what I thought was important or interesting. (My kids loved the fun facts that were unusual).
- Show pictures of the country from library books and point out a few landmarks
- Introduce animals for that country and add them to their correct chart
- Have students color in then add the flag to their passport and write the date.
- Students complete the country lap book tab
- Assign homework- usually a page from the Trip Around the World or Another Trip Around the World Book
**For the countries that did not have pages in The Trip Around the World books I would just find something else off the internet for an activity or craft
At the end of the year, every child took home a binder filled with all the papers they did for each country along with their countries lap book.
It really was a great class. I highly recommend using this curriculum for a geography co op class.