Difficulty with Writing

This is our first year of homeschooling and my son is in 2nd grade. He is a very smart boy and is reading at about a 2/3 level. This whole year has been a struggle though when it comes to any type of writing. He really, really hates it. I do let him dictate to me while I write for half of his assignments, but he still whines when it comes to him doing the writing.
Anyway, I have been looking at Growing with Grammar and Winning with Writing for next year. I really like the ways it looks, but was wondering if anyone else has used it? We are currently using sonlight and it is not working for him.

Iā€™ve used growing with grammar and my sons all really seem to enjoy it, but Iā€™m not familiar with their writing. I have reluctant writers too, so this coming year Iā€™m going to try Essentials in Writing, itā€™s a grammar and writing all in one program. Iā€™ve read some homeschool moms say it not a grammar course, so if not Iā€™ll probably just supplement it with Editor in Chief.

HTH! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,
Iā€™m wondering if the struggle is with the physical act of writing or writing itself?

1 Like

He has always had poor muscle control in his hands. So I do know that is a factor. It is a lot better than a couple years ago. He does fine writing his spelling words and with grammar type stuff. When itā€™s time for writing anything else though, he just doesnā€™t want to do it. Iā€™m ok with the fact that he doesnā€™t write as much as my daughter did at his age. Because it is something that he needs to learn, I want to find something that makes it fun and not so daunting for him. Some of the sonlight stuff has been good, but overall I think itā€™s too vague and expects too much for his age.

I actually end up skipping some of the writing assignments each week if I look at it and think ā€œthis is going to end in tears for him and frustration for meā€. I really want to find something that will get his mind off the fact that heā€™s writing. Also, i canā€™t spend $100 on a writing program. Is that even possible to find? Lol

1 Like

Ok so now I understand have you looked into Essentials in Writing?
I had Sonlight LA this year and the writing/grammar wasnā€™t working for us either, I didnā€™t bother to use it. EIW though made a huge improvement in a short space of time for our writing. This year I am splurging on Institute for Excellence in Writing. If it doesnā€™t work out I know Essentials will be our go-to.
I like EIW because it focuses on doing one thing at a time, step by step rather than telling the child to just write a letter, or just write a description, the teacher gives an example of his. Then in future lessons they will go back and make some changes to their work until it is good enough to be ā€˜publishedā€™. Depending on the child it may be frustrating to keep going over the work but that needs to be done regardless of the program you choose. I have seen the results so far. Hope you find what you are looking for.

1 Like

Hi. I have a 3rd grade boy who is a voracious reader and not sooooo crazy about writing. I figure 2 things are going on: the actual mechanics of writing combined with getting his ideas down on paper at the same time. Thatā€™s pretty major when youā€™re 8 and 9 years old. We do a lot of reading and discussion around grammar, style, literary elements, drawing and illustration for his own story telling. Weā€™re focusing on developing the skill of narration through discussion and verbal storytelling and reporting. Then he does fine with some other workbook pages. We also do two weekly writing exercises: copy work from a favorite book ( to practice mechanics only), and free writing on a fun topic (to practice ideas only - no stress, no correction). I have found a lot of writing programs are too much too soon and can ruin the creativity of it before kids even get a chance to see how fun it can be. It can squash their self confidence (ā€œI canā€™t do thisā€ - ā€œI am a terrible writerā€ - ā€œI hate thisā€). I figure it will all come together at the right level of development if we encourage a love of reading and separate fun muscle development exercises :pen::orange_book: ( just a thought outside of the main stream writing curricula). Brave Writer has some free resources to try before you buy. Lastly, I will add that because my son has an interest in learning cursive, I do have a handwriting workbook. That is great for muscle development without the stress (like drawing!).

2 Likes

This is where I am at with my son and writing too! Awesome reply, sounds good to me!

1 Like