Curriculum Decision Help - MFW, HOD, AGF

Hi! I’m having such a hard time deciding! I have 3 boys - 9-1/2, 7-1/2 and almost 5. We have been using MFW for 5 years. We are in CtG. They do enjoy the chapter books, but that is about it. I’m losing them with all the History/Science reading. They enjoy SITB experiments but the language is a big deep. It is all a bit deep/dry - I just don’t know how I feel about MFW anymore… Maybe that it is geared for the older student and I don’t feel any of them are really enjoying it. They are just there.

I’ve been introduced to A Gentle Feast and looking at Heart of Dakota. I keep hearing how long HOD takes and 3 guides are impossible to run. Does anyone have any experience w/ AGF & HOD that might be able to help? Maybe I just need to adjust MFW? Any thoughts/advice? Thank you!

1 Like

Hi,
I don’t have too much advice, because I haven’t used MFW or A Gentle Feast. (Although I did try one MFW program and have looked at AGF.)
I have used some HOD. The fact that you can’t easily combine is the big negative for me too. Otherwise, I love HOD! I combined my two oldest when they were young elementary. They are only 20 months apart in age. We did Little Hearts, Beyond and Bigger. But we didn’t always do everything as written or check all the boxes. I know HOD’s website discourages this and I know why - it is based on skills and all kids are different. But we still got a lot out of it. And I know not everyone does it as written either.
Eventually I had two younger kids and I was stressed. There was no way I could possibly do 4 guides!
Now that I have one graduated, another in high school, and two elementary students, I’ve been considering doing Bigger with the younger ones and using the extensions. That’s what I would suggest. Maybe look into doing Little Hearts with your youngest and combine the other two, using the extensions for the oldest? Or wait another year for the youngest to do formal academics (there’s really no rush) and focus on the older two. I understand the HOD guides build in independence and the early guides are really the most parent intensive, but that doesn’t help us figure out how to get it done, does it? Lol
I hope some of this helped. I remember A Gentle Feast looking good, but I don’t remember the details.
If your kids seem to want more activities than book after book, take a look at Layers of Learning. It is a unit study for all ages, grades K-12. www.layers-of-learning.com
Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Kristen

1 Like

Have either of you looked at Trail Guide to Learning? I’m looking at the first one Paths of Exploration but not sure. I too looked at HOD preparing but chickened out. I have 5 kids. Two are pretty much independent (6th and 7th) but my 3rd grader is really struggling. I will have a 1st grader and preK next year too. Trying to see about combining the 3 littles but a little nervous about trying to keep up. My 1st grader will need a lot of phonics and my 3rd grader will just be starting to really learn grammar. Then my K4 will begin learning letters and numbers. Ugh so tough to decide.

1 Like

Hi! I did end up using MFW CtG. We just couldn’t make it work and it just didn’t feel right. We quit about 15 weeks in. We switched to Heart of Dakota… Preparing, Beyond and Little Hands. We are 4 units in and SO happy! I can’t say enough good about it!

1 Like

What ages are you using HOD with? So many people love HOD. I’m having a hard time finding very many reviews on trail guide. Maybe I’ll give HOD a look again. I wanted to combine my 1st and 3rd grader though so not sure if that would work in HOD. :thinking:

My boys are 5 (Feb) and almost 10 and 8 (May/June). I combined all for most part until now. It is better, now, for us to keep them separate. HOD teaches to their individual skill level. I am really liking this. I am able to get Beyond done while my oldest does independent work. My youngest only takes about 1/2 hour (we add math and literature to LH since he is 5).

I recommend getting their catalog and then looking through website. Catalog gives a better overall picture. Also, call them. They are so helpful!

I am constantly in awe/amazement! The language arts is exactly what I wanted for them too. My boys are liking it Alot! Carrie did an amazing job! It is put together so perfectly, IMO :slightly_smiling_face:

We sub out math (Used Rightstart almost 3 years). I also use AAR for phonics (dyslexia). I added typing at New Year for my oldest and still use it. So we use almost every part of HOD. I just love it! :slightly_smiling_face::two_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you so much. I used to have a catalog but don’t know where I put it. I’ll sign up for another one. Thanks!

1 Like