CLE or LifePac Bible

So I have narrowed down our Bible curriculum to two. Christian Light Education and LifePac. The format of these two would fit well with us, but I just can’t decide between them. I like LifePac because of the color and clear enough for our daughter to do some things on our own. I like CLE because of the strong faith base they have and the price is friendly for our already stretched budget…can anyone give their opinion between the 2?

We started the year with lifepacs and in January we switched to CLE. CLE was a big hit and we will be using it next year. I know that CLE isn’t flashy but the stories are beautifully written and understandable. For my kids, the lifepacs seemed like a chore to do. The writing kind of bored them and some of the questions at the end of the lessons and quizzes were odd choices or stumped me and I read the lesson out loud! HA! I’m really a fan of CLE. My daughter always asks to keep each of the books that we finish and she reads them to her dolls! (She never asked to do that with her lifepacs.)

2 Likes

I have never done life pacs I did CLE for one year but stopped quite quickly as I found some of the stories added in some interesting details that I hadn’t seen in the actual Bible and also didn’t like doing ‘Bible’ as a subject, I felt like we were taking a break to ‘do’ Bible when i really wanted it to just be a part of life, so I dropped Bible and now do things like Apologia ‘Who is God?’ as a devotional and a time of meditation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, we don’t necessarily need a “to do” type of Bible…but she likes to do something everyday that’s bible related, so I thought maybe if we did buy a curriculum it would help things just stay smooth and also add some activity other than just reading, if that makes sense. Right now we do a kids devotional, which is working okay, but like I said she likes to do more. Would you mind being more specific what you found that you didn’t agree with? (you can private message me if you’d like) I know that CLE is Mennonite based, which is a VERY strict conservative view…but I’m curious what theologically is different that you had found. Husband and I discussed it and we are thinking maybe just go to our local Christian bookstore and let her pick out a few things a month activity wise to purchase…that way it’s all her choosing what she wants to do.

1 Like

We did it about 3 years ago so I cannot tell you specifically the things that were off, but it was really things like adding in details that were not anywhere in the Bible. It was strange. The first couple of times I ignored it because they were minor but one day it was a whole fictional event and I had to correct it to my children. I spent so much time saying ‘that actually didn’t happen’ and having to read the real Bible to them that it wasn’t worth it to me. We finished out the program and didn’t do it again. So it wasn’t necessary theology vs fictional events. I can’t speak for the whole program but after what we encountered I figured I wouldn’t try it again, hence why we ended up doing ‘Who is God?’ and I’m looking to try to find something else just like you are.

1 Like

Okay, thanks! We might stay away from that then. Thank for the input. We are sold on our curriculum except in Science, Soc Studies/Geo/History, can’t find the right ones…LOL… and something for bible, but like I said, we will probably just do random stuff at her request.

1 Like

I know just what you mean. We are trying Sonlight for some of the above subjects this year for the first time and I’m hoping it’s a fit for us. If not we will try HOD for History/Geo and perhaps even Science…. I’m praying that one day we will stop switching to find that ‘match’ I know there is nothing that is perfect but we need to find something that helps the children retain the info and that they enjoy… :slight_smile: Hope you find what you are looking for in Bible and all the other subjects. :sunny:

1 Like