Classic Literature Units

Hey everyone! I’m working on new literature units, and would love some feedback on which books you’d like units for! I can’t promise I’ll get to them all, but I will do what I can!

Thanks in advance!!
:wink: smile: Erica

I’m not sure if you’ve done some of these before so sorry if I’m being redundant:
Robin Hood
Wizard of Oz
Stone Fox
Shiloh
Alice in Wonderland
Pollyanna

1 Like

Maybe a few modern ones? Harry Potter, 13 Story Treehouse series, How to Train your Dragon, Deltora Quest, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Percy Jackson, anything by Roald Dahl?

2 Likes

Personally, by this point, I’d consider Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to be a classic. :smile: But you do raise an interesting point-- as a child of the 80s, books that were written in the 60s were already beloved enough by my parents’ generation to be considered a childhood classic. So, by that argument, I’d say books like Roald Dahl, A Wrinkle in Time. Island of the Blue Dolphins, etc. would definitely qualify. (And Harry Potter/Percy Jackson would just be fun–I think the latter especially would be a great introduction to a unit on Greek mythology!)

2 Likes

The Phantom Tollbooth

2 Likes

I’ve already read this to my boys, but they loved The Indian in the Cupboard. Others I’d think would be good are: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and the Jungle Book.

1 Like

The kids are enjoying The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. We plan on reading the rest of the series as it is scheduled in our Wayfarers curriculum as read alouds. Any of the books used in the English Lessons Through Literature curriculum would be nice for us. My daughter and I are fans of the Little House series and hope to begin from the beginning again soon as well.

1 Like

I do have Charlie and the Chocolate factory already in my store :slight_smile: And I was thinking of the Percy Jackson series, my son loved that one! Thanks for the ideas!!

Thanks! I just released Huckleberry Finn too, so it’s in my store :slight_smile:

My daughter recently read these books and love them. I don’t know if you have some of them already.
Caddie Woodlawn
Where the Red Fern Grows
A Dog of Flanders
The Boxcar Children
Five Little Peppers and How They Grew
Treasures of the Snow
The Chronicles of Narnia Series
The Little House Series
A Christmas Carol
David Copperfield
The Adventures of Pinocchio
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm
The Little Prince
James and the Giant Peach
The Peter Rabbit Series by Beatrix Potter (my first grader loves these)

Mr. Hyde and Dr. Jekal

Just wondering if you plan on making some literature/other curriculum for older students (6th grade and up)?

My daughter is in 6th grade and is loving your literature units, but we tend to have to use the original texts instead of the Classic Starts books. I know your kids are getting older too, so was just hopeful you will be doing some older kids stuff for them?

Hi! Yes! I do have that “to-do” on my list :slight_smile: Just haven’t had time to get to them yet as I’m trying to finish another set of elementary ones. But once those are complete I plan to do some for older students.

1 Like

I don’t know if this has been suggested, or if you already have it in store, but I just thought of ‘The Journeyman’ and ‘Hue & Cry’ both by Elizabeth Yates.

Thanks! I’ll look into them :slight_smile:

I just discovered the COAH community, and I’m super excited to use some of the Literature Units next year. I would love to see a unit for The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. I already own the book as I’m planning to use it for my third grader next year and I can’t seem to find a good unit study for this one. I think this one would be considered a classic as I used to watch a movie based on the book when I was a kid.

This is an awesome unit for the Best Christmas Pageant Ever

1 Like