Choosing a Bible for Young Readers

Hello All,

I am wanting to purchase my son a new Bible for Easter. He’s 6 and his reading is really taking off. We currently have the The Beginners Bible, but am wanting something a little older for him. Any suggestions for ones that works well for young readers? Thanks for the input!

It’s been a challenge for us to find a Bible for that age group. I do have two suggestions: The Bible reader for first grade from My Father’s World or an ESV children’s Bible you can find several at Christian Book Distributors

1 Like

My son uses the NIrV. We got it for him when he was 4, I believe.

2 Likes

My 8yo reads and loves the Egermeier’s Bible Story. Along with it, both she and I are reading the Bible through in a year using the schedule on the back of our Bibles. She reads from NKJV. I read aloud, and she asks questions, and I explain what we’ve just read in other words.
Also, check out this blog post, by Renee Ellison, for ideas:
http://www.homeschoolhowtos.com/content/comments/a_list_of_the_best_bible_resources_for_young_children

1 Like

Here is a link to ohamanda…she did a 31 days series on bibles for kids! Hope this helps :slight_smile:
http://ohamanda.com/2013/09/27/31-days-of-the-very-best-bible-based-books-for-your-bambinos-ok-kids/

1 Like

My kids really enjoyed Egermeier’s at this age too. But if you are wanting a full translation, you could get the NiRV or NIV (I found I liked NIV better than NiRV for us, so we went that route). There are a lot of cute Bibles aimed at the 8-12 crowd that would probably be appropriate for a good 6 yo reader. Check it out in person if you can–some Bibles these days add in extra “Devotionals” etc… and I don’t always like those. When my kids were younger, we didn’t have issues with what was in the Bibles aimed at 8-12 yo’s, but I don’t know how things might have changed. We didn’t like the content in many teen Bibles (topics we preferred to address ourselves and in our own time) though. Just something to be aware of.

2 Likes

We like the NIrV Bible too!

2 Likes

This is an awesome link! Thank you so much!

1 Like

Thank you all for your suggestions!