Character Training

I am entering a season where my almost 8 year old daughter is testing the sassy, back talking waters. I am working on nipping it in the bud. Yesterday she had been in two Time outs and warned and then she finally had to go to her room until dinner. This really made her throw a fit so I know it was a consequence she really disliked. I am trying to come up with my rules, consequences and will no longer give a warning but immediate time out for disrespect. I have the character cards Erika has and will implement them this year. I also understand I have to watch my tone too. Any other suggestions?

1 Like

Following this - the more ideas the better. My daughter is 7, but she has been very sassy since she was 5! We are EXTREMELY consistent, but thus far, we haven’t found anything to help her curb her attitude or to help her stop and think about her response before acting out. She’s very impulsive when things don’t go her way and we just can’t seem to break her of it. As I said, my husband and I are extremely consistent, and we try things for a solid month before moving on to try something else. Nothing has stuck yet… I’ll be following and hoping someone has some amazing advice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My daughter is 5-1/2. When she was 4 and started to getting sassy, I made up some “sassy juice” (white vinegar) which I put in a bottle with a medicine dropper. I think I’ve given it to her two or three times (maybe half a dropper full - enough to get a bad taste). She does NOT like it.

We also take away privileges (TV/iPad) and sometimes make her go to bed early. If she acts up in school, I have started making her go sit on her bed and stay there until she decides she is ready to listen, obey, and be a good student. I go in and check on her every few minutes to make sure she is not playing. So far, it hasn’t taken more than maybe 15 minutes for her to decide to straighten up. Oh! and I’ve been letting her use a rolling/spinning chair similar to mine rather than the regular boring dining chairs. Last week, in addition to making her go sit in her room, I put her rolling chair in the garage, and that really opened up the floodgates, so I know it was effective. Yesterday, I told her that if she would be a good student, I would let her have the chair again today. She was very good, so I’ll bring it back into the house for school.

3 Likes

Have you looked at the resources from Doorposts? Even their blog posts can be of help.

2 Likes

We also used sassy juice when our children were younger and testing the waters with sassy talk, only our recipe for it was half white vinegar and half water which we put in a very fine mist spray bottle. Originally, we used a medicine dropper as well but one son instinctively spit it out as soon as it hit his tongue and even though it was a tiny half teaspoon, it sprayed all over me. Ha! After that, I started using the spray bottle because the mist is fine enough that they got the yucky taste but there wasn’t anything to spit out or swallow.

1 Like

I too have problems with sassy talk and I’m so ready to ring their beautiful little necks :grinning:. We’ve tried timeout, taking things away and not allowing them to go to activities. I have a 4.5 and and nearly 3 yr old. The 3 yr old is only following his big brother but he needs to learn as well. Will try sassy juice and see if that does the trick.