Book report ideas for grade 3-4

My son will be doing some book reports throughout the year. I’m looking for interesting books for a 9-10 years old boy, not too difficult vocabulary cause he struggles with comprehension. Our curriculum recommends books with at least 100 pages and the suggested genres are fiction and biography. Any suggestions?

Hi Elizabeth, our 4th grader absolutely LOVES the I Survived series by Lauren Tarshis. He is so into them! He reads them in 2 or 3 sittings. This is fabulous coming from a kid who HATED reading a year ago. We are also reading a book from the Dear America series by Kathryn Lasky. This book was our daughter’s when she was younger. I think all of them in the series are written from a girls perspective, but he doesn’t know that and doesn’t seem to be phased by it in this book. With both of these series we are able to look up true history of the events portrayed in the stories, which gets us a little of our History requirement in. We are reading aloud I Survived The Joplin Tornado right now and I plan to do a little scientific research to go along with it about how tornadoes are formed. This way we get our LA, History, and a little Science all wrapped up on one! Hope this helps! -Allison

2 Likes

I’m not sure if it meets the pages criteria, but the Magic Treehouse books are perfect for that age group/reading comprehension level.

1 Like

Has he read Charlotte’s Web, Trumpet of the Swan, or Stuart Little (EB White)? Books by Bill Wallace may also work. I’m trying to get my son interested in those. The titles we have are No Dogs Allowed, A Dog Named Kitty, and Pick of the Litter. No difficult vocabulary that I noticed. The Boxcar Children series also comes to mind.

1 Like

For biographies how about the “Who was” series. These biographies are interesting and I think they would be great for the age you are looking for. The have so many books about different people. I’ll leave a link for an example for you!

1 Like

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. @mrsfyreman, we just looked into some samples of the I Survived series and my son was immediately interested. He just began to save money to buy the complete set :grinning:. Thank you!
@KathiJohnson, my daughter read some of the first books in the Magic Tree House series last year, and I thought that all of the books were about 80 pages. But after a little research, I found out that the more recent books are more than 100 pages. Perfect! Thank you for reminding me of those.
@nerakr, my son already read the Boxcar Children and enjoyed it. We will be looking for the next books in the series. E.B. White’s books are perfect, and thanks for mentioning Bill Wallace’s books. I haven’t heard of them before. My son loves books about animals. Thank you!
@momof3, the Who Was series is exactly what we need for biography, thanks so much!

2 Likes

We like On My Own Biographies (not 100 pages though-sorry), and here is a link to Grace and Truth Books where you can find many other excellent titles: http://www.graceandtruthbooks.com/category/christian-books-for-boys :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Thanks so much, @GC123! A lot of interesting titles! I will look into those also.