BJU Spelling teacher's manual

Hi! Quick question about BJU Spelling. I really like the idea of a weekly spelling list, my kids already do AAS and AAR but I still want a list… Do you really need the TM for the BJU spelling? or can I just order the student work book and be good?

1 Like

Ooh! I want to know, too! My son is in sixth grade & we changed to AAS last spring. We’re getting bored with it because we started with Level 1 & just finished Level 3. I’m thinking of switching to BJU Spelling 6 in January.

1 Like

We use AAR and AAS, in addition to BJU science, history, math, and reading. I find the TE have a lot of the “meat” in them for the lessons. I have not personally used the spelling, but I do know the TE states each rule for each weeks list of words. Additionally, all the TE I have come with CDs. On each CD are printables of extra practice, vocabulary, some hands on, etc, what ever is appropriate for that particular subject. I choose to save the cost and do without them while schooling my older son, big mistake. I now have them for every subject. Both BJU and Rainbow resource websites have great samples. Plus, returns are simple to Rainbow if you decide you really don’t it:)

I know your just asking about the BJU TE, but…what I do for my son (grade 2) is I take the AAS lesson and turn 1 lesson into a week. So, what ever the words are for that lesson, I have him use them for different activities! Rainbow write, make up sentences using the words, word searches (there are websites to enter your words and a word search is created:), fill in the missing letters, I also wrote with a sharpie the alphabet (mixed up) on a flat bed sheet and he jumps to each letter and spells the word, etc… we try to do different activities daily, with a written test on Friday :slight_smile: hope that made sense!

4 Likes

Thanks! And you made perfect sense! While I enjoy the way AAR & AAS explain the rules, the words are too easy for my.kids. I’ve used BJU for English before and know that the TM was super helpful… but I wondered if spelling specifically needed the TM since we are already learning the rules elsewhere.

1 Like

I d’'nt use the BJU Spelling TM at all. Every now and then it would be nice to check something I’m not sure of in the higher grades, but for the most part, I don’t think it’s necessary :slight_smile: Just my 2 cents though!
Erica

1 Like

I use BJU Spelling 1 currently. I have the TE and use it but you definitely don’t “NEED” it.