Author Unit Study ideas

I want to begin planning some author unit studies we can work on during our future summers. You know the type: where we focus on one author and many of his/her works…
Age/reading level: Upper elementary and middle school (so not Seuss), but age doesn’t really matter, because so much is adaptable (i.e. - we can do Shakespeare at a young age because there are so many resources for Shakespeare to be studied at any age.)
I’m looking mostly for “classic” authors, who have written more than one or two “classics”

So off the top of my head, I came up with a whopping 2 (which is absurd… I was an English major… I suppose my brain has shut off for now!!) Shakespeare and Charles Dickens (and we may add JK Rowling… not a “classic,” but we are HP obsessed in this house, so why not!
So who else should I add to our list?? Thanks!!!

1 Like

My daughter (12 yo) loves to read, she has read a lot of classics. She helped me to make this list of authors, but I am not sure if all of their works are considered classics. Hope to be of some help!

Mark Twain
Jack London
Jules Verne
Louisa May Alcott
Robert Louis Stevenson
Lewis Carrol
Rudyard Kipling
E. Nesbit
Frances Hodgson Burnett
C. S. Lewis
Roald Dahl
Laura Ingalls
E. B. White

2 Likes

@Elizabeth Thank you!!!
Funny - just this afternoon while I was driving (without the kiddos in the car!) I thought of Mark Twain (duh!), Jules Verne, Laura Ingles and Jack London (amazing what a few quiet moments without the munchkins can do for creative thinking!)
Thanks for the list - I really appreciate the brainstorming! :slight_smile:

1 Like

LM Montgomery
Wilson Rawls (Where the Red Fern Grows, Summer of the Monkeys)

2 Likes

Where the Red Fern Grows is one of my all time favorites!! :heart:

I love Elisabeth’s suggestions. I wanted to add Madeleine L’Engle. Disney is coming out with a movie version of A Wrinkle in Time later this year, so it’s timely. I just looked on wikipedia, and she has a LOT of other books other than just that series. Also, if you do do it, there is a book called “First World” with various author’s early writings (from childhood mostly…things their parents saved), and it has a piece by L’Engle in it. If you could get ahold of that book it would make a fun read…help your kids see that even great writers start somewhere. :slight_smile: Has a lot of other authors in it that might be useful to read later (but no other Children’s writers, that I’m aware of).

2 Likes