Are you a quilter? (Or a wannabe quilter!?)

Total wannabe! I can sew from a pattern and have made a few things here and there, but I’ve never made a quilt. I’ve been collecting fabric for a FIAR quilt for several years and just recently learned how to cut them into squares. I’m not sure what to do with them now! Do I just want blocks? or a pattern? I’d really love to make a rag quilt too. Each time I go to Hobby Lobby I use the 40% off coupon to buy a new quilting item (rotary cutter, omnigrid squares, cotton batting, etc.) so I think I have what I need, but I haven’t taken the plunge to start yet!

@erica Your stash is total eye candy! So fun! Loving your updates on IG too.

I’m actually becoming quite the avid quilter, with a good section of our basement dedicated for such a cause. It’s also nice that our local quilt store offers a huge variety of classes so that I can get out of the house for some “me” time once in a while! I don’t have a big stash of fabric (I mostly buy just what I need for the quilts I want to make), but I have boxes full of fabric and patterns that are just waiting to be made! http://thetr3asures.weebly.com/sew-buttons-sew-beads-and-other-things

Hi Beckie,
I love the picture of the quilt in your header with the diamonds in the center and black strips coming out of that. How cool!

Thank you! That was actually the second quilt I ever made. It’s one of my favorites. Most of the fabric was from The Downton Abby collection.

Oh, I love that collection…and the show LOL! :smile:

My latest quilt is called “Winter Wonderland” and I’ve tried to incorporate a lot of snowflake fabric to give it that snowing at midnight feel. What I’ve really been struggling with are the free-motion spirals that I’ve been quilting down the borders. Luckily this is a quilt-as-you-go pattern, so I’m not trying to stuff the whole thing through my machine as I’m doing this!

2 Likes

Wow, that looks like it’s going to be big! Love the spinning pinwheels along the edges! :slight_smile:

It’s going to be about a queen size, which is perfect. I wish the photo had turned out better. I’ll post it once it’s finished. Then I’m going to start on another one for my mother-in-law. The biggest problem that I have is that there are sooo many wonderful fabrics out there (patterns too!) that I just can’t seem to stop myself from accumulating more projects than I have time for. Do you have the same problem or do you have better self-control?

My Mom (also a quilter) always said, “It’s perfectly okay to have your fabric stash. Even if you are not actively sewing with it at this moment, if it gives you pleasure when you see it there on your shelf (shelves?), it is doing its job!”