All About Reading question

For those of you who have used more than one level of All About Reading, when you progress to the next level do you continue using the previous level’s phonogram and word cards? On their website, they say that if you have more than one student you need to purchase separate student packets (which include the activity book and phonogram/word cards). So I’m curious if that only applies when you’re teaching more than one at the same time or if i can get away with purchasing JUST the activity book for subsequent children. Thanks!

Each level has its own set of cards and student book. You can buy an extra student book if you need to replace one. So with each level (1,2,3…) you would buy the TE, student book, reading books, and cards. The only thing that goes with every level are the letter tiles:) hope that makes sense!

Ok, so if my oldest child completes level 1 and moves on, I could easily use the level 1 cards with my second? Which means the reading review box is not really necessary, and I can get separate index card boxes for each level of cards? Or would I then need to have multiple sets of divider cards?

Yes, you reuse the cards for child #2 when they are ready:) I don’t use their box. I just rubber band the cards together for the level I’m using:) I don’t use the divider cards either. Once you start using level 1, you will get a better idea of how it works and can figure out your own system for the card storage. I do have the divider cards, I forgot to put them in your box!

1 Like

Aren’t the divider cards included in the interactive kit (meaning they are used for all 4 levels)?

Honestly, I can’t remember what part of the kit the divider cards came with:/

Hi there! I have used AAR for two levels so far (getting ready to go on to level 3 which I have already purchased) and I am using it for my second child now as well. The divider cards and letter tiles came with the initial package I purchased (level 1) and they are used for all 4 levels. When I purchase a new level, I purchase the Teacher guide, student activity book, and the phonogram cards for each new level. When I am getting ready to use a level as a hand-me-down for my next child coming up to that level, all I purchase is a new activity book (usually costs around $20 new) and everything else is re-usable! I hope that helps!

2 Likes

Is this the same for the Spelling curriculum as well? Meaning, once you move on to the next level, previous level cards can then be used for other children?

1 Like

Also, what do the Divider Cards (for both Reading and Spelling) say on each tab? Do the divider cards/Review Box get used by the student on a regular basis, or is that something that the parent can manage? I’m wondering if I could purchase ONE Review Box, use it to hold all the cards, but with multiple students being at different levels at the same time, OR if each student really needs a box of their own (whether the Review Box sold on the site or a regular Index Card box)?

@DeannaForgard Yes–actually, with the Spelling for AAS, I don’t have to purchase anything for the next child using the curriculum. I can re-use everything! The teacher guide and the cards are all I need :slight_smile: We did not purchase the box sold by the company–a regular index card box sold at any store for under a dollar fits the cards just fine so that is great! If you are going to have multiple children using the cards at one time spanning different levels, you may need to purchase more than one set of divider cards, or I would think you could just make your own! For AAR you have Phonogram Cards and Word Cards and with the AAS you have those categories plus Sound Cards and Key Cards. In each of these categories you have Review, Mastered, and Future Lessons. We have been able to get by on just the one set that came with the Reading and one set that came with the Spelling but I only have two children using them, and when they are both using reading programs at the same time in their own levels, I use the AAS cards as reading divider cards and just remove the Sound and Key card dividers since those are specific to spelling only. If you have more than two children or are planning to teach AAS and AAR simultaneously, I would suggest buying more than one set of divider cards (or making your own :slight_smile: but they look to only be $3.95/$4.95 on the Web site depending on which set you need. I hope this information is helpful!

1 Like

Thank you so much! That was extremely helpful. This is all down the road aways. I’m just trying to plan for future needs. Thank you for your feedback!

1 Like

It really depends on how far apart your children are working.

For example, when you move on to AAR 2–most kids will have words from AAR 1 that are not fluent yet. You want to keep those in daily review until they are mastered (rotating through the stack for 2-3 minutes daily–not trying to do all of the cards in a day).

So, if you have a student who needs to start AAR 1 before your AAR 2 student has completely mastered the words, you may find it easier to have a second packet.

With spelling, it’s a bit more involved: That program is a building-block type of program, so almost all students start with Level 1. The phonogram and sound cards from Levels 1 and up, and the key cards from levels 2 and up, stay in the review box throughout the program. You will review them whenever a “mastered review” is scheduled, and also do extra review with them if your student doesn’t seem to be remembering to use the concepts. (For example, I found it helpful with my kids to review the phonogram, sound, and key cards about once a month–and I just picked a different set of cards to review each week.) Some kids whiz through and don’t need extra review–some need lots of review. If you have a child with any kind of spelling struggle or learning issues, you’ll want that child to have his or her own set all the way through.

Kids who don’t struggle, you can pass the cards on when they are done. Usually if they are working 1.5-2 levels apart, it’s easier–but again, it really depends on the kids. You just have to borrow the phonogram, sound, and key cards back for those mastered reviews.

If you have kids working at the same place, you could review everything together.

Start with one packet if you aren’t sure–later on, if you find it’s getting tricky to remember who needs which cards, or one isn’t done before the next is ready to start–you can get a second packet then. HTH some!

1 Like