Abeka VS Saxon Math

Hi all! I’m hoping I can get some input on the contrast between Abeka Math and Saxon Math. We have it narrowed down to these 2.

Right now we are using Abeka grade 2. It’s working for the most part, but I hear that many people don’t like it beyond 3rd grade. So that being said we are starting to explore different curriculums, possibly making the switch this next year (3rd grade level). Many people that I talk to love Saxon. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two from about 2nd/3rd on? Or which program you liked from these levels on?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I am using Abeka Grade 4 right now and have taught in public schools using Saxon. Both are great programs but I found that Abeka is further advanced than Saxon. I looked at using Saxon when my daughter was in 3rd grade but decided against it because everything she learned in Abeka Grade 2 was being taught in Saxon Grade 3. There is lots of repetition in Abeka and I like that. That way I know she is retaining the concepts. However, Abeka isn’t as hands on as Saxon. I think it depends on your child’s learning style and how well they do in Math. I hope this helps!

2 Likes

Thank you so much it does =)