A Reason for Handwriting Transition

Anyone with experience with level T of A Reason for Handwriting?

We have tried cursive several times since my son was 5, and nothing has stuck. We finally stopped trying last year and his manuscript writing finally became legible after working solely on that. He is turning 8 this fall and going into third grade so I think it would be worth trying again. I was going to pick up our abandoned second grade A Beka handwriting but after advisement and prayer have decided that starting at the beginning would be beneficial. I like that level T seems to be a slow transition and looks to be good instruction and can be used independently with tutoring. What is your experience with this (or any other) handwriting program? What sounds like it might be a good fit without breaking the budget? Thank you!!

I don’t have any experience because our kids are still in ps, but my son(7) will be in 2nd grade this fall. I just ordered A Reason For Handwriting B for him to use, even though T is recommended for 2nd grade. His handwriting is terribly messy and he is completely content to leave it that way. I think giving him a year before starting cursive will be helpful. I hope! One thing I’m looking forward to about homeschooling is not having to rush into things if I don’t think they’re ready.
I’m sorry I don’t have any recommendations for cursive!

1 Like

@michelletown My son has fine motor delays as well as poor muscle tone in his arms. We use Handwriting Without Tears! It’s a simple way of writing:) Many OTs use the program. My son has actually taught himself cursive with this program!!! His printing is improving, but his cursive is beautiful! He is 7 by the way, we have been using HWOT since he was 5.

1 Like

@LuvmyBoys What do you need for Handwriting Without Tears? I’ve seen it recommended many times but the website confuses me for some reason! Thank you for the recommendation! It sounds like just what we need. Honestly, I don’t want to buy something that will just set him up to fail again.

We only bought the handwriting practice books and paper, NOTHING else! There’s sooooo much you could buy, but it would have all just over whelmed my son. We just wanted to teach handwriting, and didn’t want to have to build letters, or sing a song or write on a tiny chalk board😋 I did purchase the TE for the printing, but not for the cursive. The TE was ok, but not something I needed. I found the info for free by doing a simple google search:) there are many YouTube videos as well. We also no longer use their special lined paper, we just use regular notebook paper and he does just fine. Hope that helps:)

1 Like

@michelletown I think I have an extra cursive book (new:) if I do, I will PM you and send it to you!

1 Like

Hi there @michelletown We are using A Reason For Handwriting and have been for 3 years now. My daughter (also 8) will be in 3rd Grade this fall and will also be using the Transition book. I don’t have any experience going through it yet, so I can’t say how well the cursive writing portion will or won’t work, but I do feel that their books have been great so far for our family. My younger son is in K this year and will move into 1st Grade in the fall. He has finished the K book and has been into the A book for awhile now. His printing work is going really well. If their transition work goes as well and gradually as their introduction to printing has gone for both of my children so far, I think it will be a good product for us as well. I have the Transition book here, so feel free to let me know if you want me to look at anything or send you pictures of any of the pages if you want to see anything before purchasing :slight_smile:

1 Like