3rd/4th Grader - What does their work look like?

If you have a kiddo who’s approximately in 3rd/4th grade, would you mind sharing what schoolwork your child did the last day you had a regular homeschool day (ie, not a field trip day or special day)?

Third grader:
Little Lads and Ladies of Virtue copy work
Music- learning a new hymn
All About Reading lesson
Spectrum Comprehension page
Grammar Harcourt wkb. complete one page
Spelling introduce new word list and complete one page in Spelling workout book, write new words in rainbow writing
Writing- Ready for Writing (The Moffat Girls) complete day one lesson
CLE Math complete one lesson/drill
God’s Design for Science- complete phases of the moon wks found on pinterest
History-read from MOH lesson and complete activity

Hope this helps:)

1 Like

Third grader -
Abeka Math – workbook and review (multiplication X1, x2, x3, x0, x11). Story problems, money and change back, place value to 100,000’s, and rounding review. ( I do a daily review and then a new lesson).

BJU Lang arts - we are working on verbs right now (past, present, & future tense, helping verbs, irregular verbs etc)

Spelling (gets word list and lesson on Monday, does activities through the week and test on Friday)

Writing and Art - FREE! - found on teachers pay teachers - disguise a turkey project. It has instructions and grading rubric.

BJU Science - working on sound unit. Read a few pages and discussed w/ a project of an ear model. She had to design and make the project and then explain how sound moves through the ear (was given a time frame to complete) and then this week we reviewed the unit and will have a test today Friday.

BJU social studies (I do block scheduling so this month no socia studies, will resume it next month and no science then).

PE - she is in tumbling and we also meet w/ a group once a week for free play at park or on trails, it’s about 2-3 hours of running around and games

Health - will do some next month (block scheduling again, it alternates w/ computer)

Computer class - basics of computer/typing and word. Turn comp on, locate her file, open it, open document we are working on. Learning how to change, font and size. Next will be working w/ keyboard and typing.

My 4th grader does:

Math Mammoth
Michael Clay Thompson Grammar
Writers in Residence
Readers in Residence
Alabama History
Apologia Flying Creatures with notebooking journal
All About Spelling
Cursive handwriting workbook
Carson Dellosa Language Arts Daily Pages
Bible

He plays sports throughout the year and takes an archery class, an escape room class, and a supplemental AL History class at our co-op. It usually take him 2-3 hours to complete a school day depending on what all he had that day. Hope this helps!

My daughter is grade 3/4:
Daily:
Horizons Mathematics 4
Good & the Beautiful Language arts 3
Reading 20 minutes
Piano practice
History: Veritas Self-Paced History online (Ancient History)
Bible lesson (Grapevine Studies)

Every other day, either:
Science (Building Blocks of Science level 4) OR Geography (Visits to Africa geography book)
Spanish (Duolingo) OR typing (typingweb.com)

3rd and 4tg grader:
Daily:
Sonlight 2hrs, this includes history, bible, geography and mapping
Math:
Singapore, go over lesson using manipulatives and they dinone lesson of the workbook per week.
Spelling:
AAS, one lesson 3x wk. (3rd)
Barton with a tutor 3x wk. (4th)
Reading:
AAR level 3, 4-6 lessons per wk (3rd)
Barton with tutor 3x wk. (4th)
Other language arts:
Copy work, cursive,FLL 3x wk.
Science 1x wk.
Art 1x wk.
They also do veritas bible online, typing and online math 1-2x wk.

Hello, I’m new to the group, saw this post and I noticed Math Mammoth you mentioned in your post. I’m not familiar with it and was wondering if you could offer some information on it. I have an 11 yr old son in 4th grade who I am needing to find new curriculum for next semester. Any information you could give would be much appreciated. God bless you!

We’ve used Math Mammoth for years and really enjoy how it’s set up. The first thing you need to know is that it’s written to the student to encourage independence. While my kids do very well with this, occasionally I do have to step in and go over something with them. I say that so you know that just because it’s written to the student, it doesn’t mean a parent can’t help. (There is no teacher book besides the answer book. Everything you or the student needs to do a lesson is in the student workbook.)

The second thing you need to know is that on the whole this curriculum is mastery based. With that said, plenty of review is built in. For example, let’s say you just finish studying adding/subtracting fractions with unlike denominators, then when you get to the measurement chapter it will include instances where you will need to add/subtract fractional measurements with unlike denominators. The review is naturally woven in instead of there just being a section devoted to reviewing a certain topic each day like a spiral curriculum does. In addition, at the end of each chapter is a chapter review and a mixed review (cumulative from current and previous chapters).

Each grade level consists of two work texts (A and B), a test/cumulative review book, and an answer guide. You can purchase printed books or the digital version. Both are economical compared to other programs. The test booklet contains a test for each chapter and a comprehensive cumulative review after each chapter. It also has an end of the year test that tests everything from the year.

At the beginning of each chapter there is also a large list of online games/resources you can use for further support (though we’ve never needed supplemental work because the curriculum is complete) or if you just want to make math more fun.

My favorite part of this curriculum is that the math is solid. It’s definitely not fluff or basic. I’m not sure about the new version, but after grade 6 of the old version my daughter was able to go straight into Foerster’s Algebra 1 with no issues. She made an A in that course. My boys are using the new version (I think it’s the only one available now) but neither have made it to grade 6 to see if they will follow their sister’s path. I do know there is a pre-algebra with the new version that didn’t exist with the old version.

Math Mammoth (mathmammoth.com) has several different products but only the light blue series is a complete yearly curriculum. If you’re looking to only study certain topics in depth, the blue series would work better for that.

With all of that said, I have also used Beast Academy with my boys, and we love it very much…just for different reasons. I only used it because they had gotten so far ahead in math mammoth and I was trying to slow things down by using two curriculums. For this year, we decided to use only one. I gave them the choice, and they chose math mammoth. I have considered getting Beast Academy anyway because it’s just that good.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any other questions, just ask!

1 Like