2019-2020 Curriculum Picks

I just finished my post about my hits and misses for last year and now I am going to talk about my picks for this year. It’s exciting for me. I always love this time of year.

Preschoolers (twins turning 3 this year)
MFW- All Aboard the Animal Train
CLE- Beginners Activity Set- quick and easy. Probably a page a day.

1st Grade
MFW Grade 1- we have started this already and love it so far.
Social Studies- My Story by Masterbooks
Math-We are thinking to try Math U See this year. My son needs something to do with his hands and as much as I love the look of Right Start Math it’s extremely pricey! So maybe we will save for that next year?!

4th Grade, 7th Grade and 8th Grade
MFW Countries and Cultures- My children all love to learn about the world around them and I wanted to have a year of world geography etc… before high school. So we went with MFW! I’m excited to see how this year goes.

4th Grade
Math- TT4+ (we will just keep moving forward as each level is completed)
L.A- The Good and the Beautiful Level 4
Reading- Lots of books of interest
History, geography, science etc…- MFW
Handwriting- TGATB
Typing- Typing.com
Foreign Language- Mango Languages, Nallenart (French)
Social Studies- Donna Ward- Canada my Country and Natives

7th and 8th Grade
Bible, Worldview, Literature- Generations Curriculum- this will most likely be done as a family
Logic- Introduction to Logic- Masterbooks
Typing- typing.com
Foreign Language- Mango Languages, Nallenart (French)
Math- TT
LA- TGATB High school - we decided to jump right in to high school!
Science-Apologia Physical Science
Geography, History, etc…- MFW. There are extra reading books included in this curriculum.
Reading- There is a lot of reading in MFW. I am adding books of interest also.
Spelling- Soaring with Spelling

I think that’s it for this year!
It was pretty easy to pick, we seem to be finding our groove and sticking with some favourites, hopefully, it continues to get easier!

What are you guys doing this year?

3 Likes

Looks like great picks for the year! I love this time as well, thinking about new things and getting ready for next year! You’re ahead of me though, I haven’t made all of our picks yet LOL!

1 Like

Lol well be sure to post when you know!

I’m in the middle.of deciding all this now too. I will post as soon as I have a plan in place. I have 5 kids. My 1 oldest will be in 7th and 8th grade. I think I’m pretty solid on their choices. I’m torn for my younger 3 - grades 3rd, 1st and preK. I’d like to try 1 or two yrs of a multi-level curriculum before they get two old to do that. I’ve done MFW in the past and might do adventures but I am also looking at Trail Guide. Having trouble deciding.

2 Likes

Hi, we’re starting our 1st year of homeschooling. I will have a 2nd Grader and a 5th Grader. Here’s what I think I have it narrowed down to for each. Is this doable…did I forget something… are we going to be doing school ALL day? I thought I would check with you all before I start ordering things. We will be doing a cross country move at the end July and are hoping to start school by the end of August! Trying to get as organized as I can before we move! Thank you!

2nd Grade
Bible- Word of Life
Math- Math U See
Reading- All About Reading- Level 2 & Read and Think Skill Sheets (1x week)
History- Road Trip USA
Science- Abeka 2
ELA/Phonics- Abeka Letters & Sounds 2 & Language 2
Handwriting- BJU 2 or Abeka
Spelling- BJU
Music- Hoffman Academy and still deciding on other 1-2x week
Vocabulary- Word Builder
Typing- Typing.com 1x week
Art- Deep Space Sparkle

5th Grade
Bible- Word of Life
Math- Math U See
Literature- Classical Lit Units, Read & Think Skill Sheets (1x week)- She is an advanced reader, so I won’t be doing any extra reading
History- Road Trip USA
Science- Abeka 5
English/Gramma- IEW Fix It Grammar
Writing- IEW Student Intensive A
Spelling- BJU
Vocabulary- World Builder (1x week)
Typing- typing.com (1x week)
Art- Deep Space Sparkle (1x week)
Music- Hoffman Academy (plus another supplement)

2 Likes

Hello! I am just finishing up my kids as 2nd and 5th graders! I think it looks like a good plan you have laid out. It is a heavy load, but if your kids are fairly self motivated and you don’t need to ping pong between them too much, you’ll be fine.
My 5th grader only needs little bits from me here and there, but my 2nd grader requires quite a bit and we get it done.
For comparison, we basically did everything you are doing subject-wise except music and art, which my kids did at a homeschool enrichment program. They also didn’t do a specific typing program, they just had to type their spelling words(2nd) and book reports plus spelling(5th)
I also can’t say enough good things about All About Reading, my son has always struggled with reading and it is a God send here! We sprung for the full color version this year because he is always so disappointed that it’s gray scale art=)
Good luck on your move and with homeschooling! It’s such a blessing to be able to custom tailor learning for your kids! There is no better teacher for them than the person who knows them best!! God bless!

1 Like

Only one to homeschool this coming year!!! The oldest graduated.
I’m returning to HOD for my son, he enjoyed it a couple years ago, it was a good fit for us.
For L/A he’ll use a combination of TGTB, Easy Grammar, IEW spelling, and Writing and Rhetoric
Math: I thought he would use Teaching Textbooks again, but I’m not 100%. We will continue with Life of Fred.
I used several Outschool offerings this year and will again next year.

1 Like

Hello Everyone! I have my plan to share!

My son is a struggling reader and is working a grade level behind in language arts. My thought is that it will help him build up some reading confidence. I hope!

I will have a 2nd and 3rd grader and a 10th grader.

My 2nd and 3rd grader have the same plan except for math.

Reading: BJU 2nd grade reading
English: Grammar & Writing BJU grade 2
Spelling: Memoria Press Traditional Spelling
Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears
Science: Sassafrass Science: Zoology & Anatomy
History: Veritas Press self-paced course Old Testament and Ancient Egypt.
Bible: Veritas Press self-paced course Genesis -Joshua. WOL devotionals and The Ology book.
Geography: Skill Sharpeners Geography
Music: Memoria Press Music Appreciation
Art: DVD set with I Can Do All Things
Health: Rod and Staff 2
Math 2nd grade: Mathseeds with workbook
Math 3rd grade: Teaching Textbooks 3

10th grade

Math:Teaching Textbooks Algebra 2
Science: Ace Biology
History: PAC World History
English: LLATL Gold
Bible: (Funschooling) Book: Read Through the New Testament. WOL devotional.
Computer Course: that I’m not quite sure how to label yet! : Compu scholar Digital Savvy
Health: Total Health
PE: Ice skating team
Art: A whole bunch of art materials and books that I’m also not sure how to label yet!
Spanish: SOS Spanish
Everything is here and my classroom is a gigantic mess!!! I hope you all have a great next school year!

2 Likes

My daughter is 10 and will be in 5th grade:

Math- We’ll use the Scott Foresman 6 textbook for the scope and sequence. We read the lesson, then find fun activities and games online or from Teacher’s Pay Teachers. We also will be using Life of Fred. This year she asked for more worksheets😲. We’re going to subscribe to mathantics.com

Literature- no curriculum. We take turns choosing read alouds.

History- We’ll use The Complete Book of US History for a timeline and History Pockets. We chose a few books about each topic to read aloud. We usually make a recipe or do a craft from each.

Civics- Tuttle Twins books

Geography- Map Essentials

Science- We’ve been using Sassafras Science Adventures, but the next novel isn’t available yet. We’re considering a subscription to Generation Genius.

English/Grammar/Writing We’ll read the lessons from Voyages in English 6, then find fun activities and games online, G.U.M. Drops 6, and The Good and The Beautiful.

Spelling- All About Spelling level 6

Art- undecided

Music- Music Masters CDs

ASL- Learn and Master Sign Language DVDs

2 Likes

What grade are you doing this year?
Curious about IEW spelling

seventh grade
He spent two years in vision therapy. So we are quite slow in some subjects. I have tried spelling 2-3 times, but didn’t really get anywhere. We have just started IEW, so far so good. Hopefully by the “start” of school, he will still be making progress!

1 Like

I ask because spelling has never been the strongest area for my oldest children so far. We have tried abeka, cle, tgatb and this year we will try soaring with spelling because my oldest daughter asked me to try it after she tried it a couple years ago…let’s see how this year goes.

1 Like

I too have tried CLE, TGATB, AAS, Spellwell, How to Teach Spelling…
Reasons he likes IEW: There are no workbooks, no busy work, no tiles. He can hear the words being spelled. He can remember the rule / jingle and because there are no pages to write on, we can practice a smaller number instead of all ten or twenty or whatever the number is.
Last night as I was replying to you I asked him rule one and rule two, while he was on his computer, and he remembered them. That is a first.
CLE too many words, too random. AAS just too much, he absolutely dislikes everything about AAS.
Good luck with your choice, I have read about and thought about Soaring with Spelling, but never tried it.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. I have heard good things about IEW and your response has helped too. I think we might check it out!

I have a 9 year old boy doing 4th grade.

Math: math mammoth and key to series

Language arts: easy grammar, Memoria Press Composition fables, All About Spelling (we never used it before so we are starting with level 1), and Handwriting Without Tears cursive. Oooh…then a few classic start books with corresponding lapbooks from Erica.

History: Story of the World Vol. 2

Science: Elemental Science Physics

Elective: Memoria Press Latin

We will also be continuing Tuttle Twins and constantly having conversations about government and keeping up with current events.

We will be doing a few lapbooks but trying to not overly schedule reading that way he can choose some of his own books. Then I just ask him to let me know what he read about. I also have collected random Shakespeare books and some of the usborne books so that he can read those between lapbooks and free reading.

2 Likes

My daughter is 9-1/2, 4th grade.

Bible - Bible Study Guide for All Ages
Language Arts –
Abeka Language Arts A (4th grade)
DailyGrams (new this year)
Spelling Power (new this year)
Wordly Wise vocabulary
Abeka Readers
Abeka Handwriting/Penmanship
Read Alouds – currently finishing up The First Four Years, then will go on to something else
Math – Singapore Math plus ___ Facts that Stick (Addition, Subtraction – already done; will do Multiplication, Division when the time is right)
Math – I would like to add in some online games such as Splash Math and possibly Khan Academy for those days when I am not able to do as much one-on-one with her.
Science – Apologia Astronomy followed by Botany
Social Studies – Notgrass Our Star-Spangled Story (with read-alouds), Road Trip USA (with read-alouds)
Music – violin and piano lessons, new-to-us fiddle ensemble
Miscellaneous – Great American Poets, Art Appreciation, hopefully typing.com