When your 6th grader just chooses NOT to try

http://www.texasunschoolers.com/blog read article

1 Like

Thank you Ryan! Just curious to what happens to unschoolers in the futureā€¦graduate?? GED??

In TX they graduate like everyone else. But depends on your stateā€¦but itā€™s the same as homeschoolersā€¦if you have requirements to something to turn in then you just adapt to your needs.

1 Like

I am so sorry you are going through this. :frowning: I know you are doing an online school? I know that my kids hated it. They didnā€™t want to try either. When I quit the online school I tried really hard to find curriculum that they would enjoy. It has taken a lot of work and a lot of false steps.

The K12 program was just too much - it wasnā€™t fun for anyone. Could it just be that he doesnā€™t like the curriculum? Could it just be too much?

If at all possible - try and make the curriculum your own. Skip things that you can skip. Donā€™t try to do everything in the lesson. (Dare I say: Donā€™t worry about their ā€œassessments?ā€) Or even, find out what is on the assessment - and teach him that in his own way. A way he enjoys.

(For example: (this is for my 1st grader but itā€™s just an example lol so bear with me :slight_smile: ) In science he has to know what the three states of matter are: solid, liquid, gas. He has to know what causes them to change the state of matter (hot or cold) OK, so instead of spending 1/2 an hour reading their online science lesson - I am going to walk around outside and inside and find examples of solids, liquids, and gases. Then we will do the experiment they have: changing ice-cubes to water, water to ice-cubes, and water to gas by boiling it. Done and done. He enjoyed science, he learned - but it wasnā€™t sitting on the computer all day.)

I know you said you didnā€™t want to stick with it foreverā€¦ and soā€¦ find your own curriculum - one that he enjoys, and like was mentioned beforeā€¦ maybe unschooling would work best.

Youā€™ll be in my thoughts! Best wishes!

1 Like

PS - I hated the online assessments: as I thought most were unfair. So, I tried to teach what they needed to know. And if my child didnā€™t understand what they were asking - I had no problem with helping them on the assessments. If I KNEW they knew the material - then I didnā€™t worry about the assessments as much. We also went to a more notebooking style - they created their own books for each unit. Again, - if they understood the material - I didnā€™t worry about the assessments as much. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: The online schooling is no different from the public school systemā€¦just different location :wink: He didnā€™t like school nor does he like it here at home. Iā€™ve actually started looking into the ā€œunschoolingā€ approachā€¦all the articles Iā€™ve read so far describe my son to a ā€˜Tā€™ā€¦scaryā€¦because Iā€™m too into the system way :-/ I have a friend coming over Monday to do a lesson with him so she can get a feel for how he learns or if he might just happen to be an unschooling kind of learnerā€¦I can say now I could never do RADICAL unschoolingā€¦but perhaps some unschooling with a sprinkle of academics and REAL LIFE responsibility everyday!! I just told him todayā€¦youā€™re either going to work hard mentally(academics) or physically(real life stuff)ā€¦not just sit around :slight_smile: But still lots to think and considerā€¦

2 Likes