Trying New Curriculum Next Year

Yes! Just like you the price of IEW is quite high and although I love the way it looks too price wise I wonder if it is worth the investment. I will definitely be visiting their booth to find out more. As you mentioned the less expensive IEW programs I will be looking into those too. Writing with Ease looks like fun and they are nice and short. Something we are not used to after using Abeka. The same goes for FLL I am excited to try this program! :slight_smile:
I havenā€™t started ordering yet but they all know what we are going to do this year and they are excited. Seems like you have a great year planned too! :slight_smile:
Let me know how it goes with FLL and whichever writing program you choose.

Iā€™m so sorry. Iā€™ll try again.

I need your email address.

Let me know if this link works.

http://www.hslaunch.com/mypage/file/5200

Iā€™m sending this link also. Let me know if it works.

http://www.hslaunch.com/mypage/file/5200

Thank you, those look great!

I recommend trying Shurley English. The grammar jingles (songs) really stick! Growing with Grammar is good to. Short sweet to the point.

1 Like

Were you able to get the list from hslaunch? Otherwise, I need your email address.

@KathiJohnson I have tried to answer your question regarding what changes are on the horizon, and I just seem to type forever. I guess I mean I understand that the past and current ways (of her education) are not helping; big changes are needed for my daughter to flourish.

She has expressed that she is ā€œdumbā€. When I ask why she states, ā€œThatā€™s what all those tests were for last year, and thatā€™s why I was in those classesā€. So I have a lot of work to do with confidence building. Thatā€™s first.

She is behind and has been for some time. I have been trying to ā€œcatch her upā€ with more intense studies near her chronological grade level, but this is not working.

Trying to find the happy medium (working at a level to build confidence yet not make her feel ā€œdumbā€) is quite a challenge. But that is what Iā€™m working towards. It is difficult when your 8th grader is looking at a 6th grade math book or 4th grade grammar book and saying, ā€œsee, Iā€™m not smartā€

Iā€™m just finishing Simply Classical, and I love it! Thank you so much for mentioning it; it will be a game changer although Iā€™m not exactly sure how to implement anything yet. Iā€™m realizing that we really need to focus on reading, comprehension, and vocabulary. I have been using the theory of just let them read what they like as long as theyā€™re reading. I knew I did not like this approach, but wasnā€™t sure what else to do.

So thatā€™s it. I still typed forever, and didnā€™t say anything concreteā€¦ sorry.

@bezona There are many reading materials that are easier for older kids to read, but arenā€™t ā€œbabyishā€ books. My daughter is 12 and had never been in a regular class, except for the inclusion rule (where she had an aide). Our struggle is that she wants to hang out with similarly aged peers, but she is not emotionally mature enough for that. She doesnā€™t seem to care that she is behind school-wise, but her friends are much younger than she is (think 8-10).

Building confidence really is the #1 thing for your daughter right now. She needs to understand that everyone has some sort of challenge, but that it is how we respond to them that shows who we really are. I have an older daughter who does great in school, but struggles with test taking. She thinks she is ā€œtoo dumbā€ to do well on tests. That isnā€™t the case. Itā€™s hard though, when they feel that way.

I guess Iā€™m rambling here. But you arenā€™t aloneā€¦ I suppose thatā€™s what I really wanted to say. I hope Simply Classical is helping you (and it certainly helped me). There is hope.

2 Likes

@jeanna Thank you! Iā€™ll check those out!