Pulling your child out of public school

I think you know your child and the situation the best. One thing that helps me with decision making is to write down a list of pros and cons. While listing things, it usually becomes obvious which way I am leaning. I’ve learned to go with my gut and my mama instinct - they are usually right.

We will be withdrawing our two children at the end of this school year in May. We have had a good experience (for the most part) and really like most of the teachers and staff at the school, as do the boys, but it is not a good fit for us right now. But our situation is different and it is what will work best for US.

It seems like you already know what you would like to do, which is to go ahead and withdraw your children. I think if there are no major obstacles, like quitting a needed job, or finances, etc., then it might be in everyone’s best interests to start homeschooling now.

Big hugs and I will be praying for you!!!

1 Like

I was making the same decision just a few months ago. A little background, my son loved to learn until this year, he’s a second grader. After a few suspensions and him spending more time in the principal’s office than in the classroom I decided to pull him out that was October, yep school started in September he made it a month. Additionally I decided to pull my 8th grade daughter out in November. She has been behind for quite some time and things were going south. I decided if I could do one then I could do two ( I also work 3 12 hour shifts per week). For our family, this was the best decision we’ve made in a long time.
Some things for you to ponder. Much of the reading I’ve done indicates that you should “deschool” your child 1 month for each year they have been in public school. We did not do that but for my daughter we really didn’t get too serious until the beginning of February. You know your son the best, and you have a vested interest in his education and future; the school has an interest in statistics. There are more than enough of things to do for 3 months that can be “educating” for your son. Curriculums are expensive, this time can give you the opportunity to understand how your son learns the best and which curriculums will fit your family. Many companies offer free samples of their goods that you can print and use. Check to see if there are any homeschool fairs near you this summer, they have all the books, planners, and goodies to fully supply a family for the next year. You may want to take this time to learn about any coops in your area. We unfortunately do not have anything within an hour of us but there are homeschool Meetups that we attend a couple times per month. We usually pick just fun things like game day or rollerskating because the kids enjoy being around other kids and getting out of the house.
Sorry this is so long, but having just gone through this and especially with an older student I felt these were things that you might want to consider. I cannot tell you the changes I have seen in this short time in my daughter, (my son has always been a good kid who wanted to learn so no big changes for him) I only wish I had pulled her out sooner.
Good Luck!

2 Likes

Aww thank you so much for the big hugs :wink: Yes, just like many other women have posted, I do know my child best and what will benefit him. Just wasn’t sure what many do in this case…especially with education…do you keep teaching or give them that break they need to unschool, be refreshed and then start up in the next school year :-/ Appreciating all the comments/feedback I’m getting!!! Such an encouragement :slight_smile:

1 Like

I seriously just LOVE to hear/read when moms have seen MAJOR changes in their kids and it’s all positive change! Gets me so excited!! I’ve heard about the deschooling as well…feel dumb…I’ve been calling it unschooling!! LOL!! I think that is good to just take this time & see how he enjoys learning & from there plan on the curriculums! I do have a 2 & 3 year old son as well, along with my Kindergarten princess so I think I kind of get scared knowing I got these younger ones as well that will be with us ALL DAY LONG!!! :wink: Such a blessing though!!!

When I started homeschooling, I pulled my oldest out of public school kindergarten in the middle of February. I just had a gut feeling it was time, and I felt like if I didn’t - I would regret it. I contemplated him finishing the year out, but then I decided it would have been wasted time for him. Good luck momma. You can do it.

1 Like

There are several reasons that I am pulling my children out of public school and one of them is exactly what you stated. The being pushed through when they are not ready. I am waiting until the school year has ended before I pull them out as to not shock their system too much. I just keep encouraging them and my oldest (in 9th grade) knows that she will be redoing the 9th grade at home so that she can understand and get the education that she fully deserves.

1 Like

I pulled my daughter out after a situation happened at school that she was in trouble but the other kids involved held no responsibility. She still had three months left but in our town they were doing minimal things that I could easily do at home and so I did. THAT day don’t worry about messing up becasue they will bounce back just fine and even thrive!

1 Like

i have been homeschooling for a year now and i pulled my daughters out around this time … the sooner you start the better :smile:

1 Like

The idea that always come to my mind is that I am not qualified to teach my kid, is there a way by which I can evaluate myself and decide if I can do it or not?

1 Like

I think doubt comes to the most of us. We’re taking on a HUGE role and soooo much responsibility! Who wouldn’t doubt?? :wink: I’m not sure if there’s an evaluation test out there but if you live for the Lord, He can tell you :slight_smile: It’s a passion that stirs up inside of you that no matter how much you try to push off to the side, it’ll be right around the corner waiting for ya! It’s like Starbucks!! One on every corner :wink: God started stirring that passion inside of me when my son was in 1st grade, a vision in 3rd grade, the open door now in 5th :slight_smile: God’s timing is perfect!

3 Likes

I have several friends who pulled their kids out mid-year and homeschooled them. It was a bit of a transition, but they all said they would do it again in a heartbeat!

I have a post with some tips that might help you out as well:

2 Likes

if i was in your shoes i would do it right now. mostly because his teacher seems unfit to teach and he isn’t excelling. under regular circumstances i would wait until end of year but definitely in this case i think being home with you and away from that teacher will help him. and you can start concentrating and learning how he learns best and start on that sooner. have you talked to him about it? does he have a preference?

1 Like

Hello! Yes, we actually talked about it tonight at dinner. He’s definitely fine with coming home!! As so is my Kinder Princess :wink: Reminded them that it doesn’t mean it’s playtime all day :wink: Plus today was a weird day for him he said because of some text messages a few kids were receiving today regarding a killer??? Yeah, cherry on the top right there thank you!! My kids can deal with that kind of craziness when they’re much older! Kids shouldn’t have to deal or be around that kind of stuff at such young ages. If I have the choice…which I do here…I choose to postpone worldly drama a little while longer :wink:

3 Likes

Update: Today is our 2nd day of homeschooling!! RELAX homeschooling at the moment :wink: I pulled my kids out right before spring break! We extended spring break so just started this week :slight_smile: I finally figured out which curriculums I’m going to use and in the meantime using workbooks and reading! Just received my Five in a Row order and will start using that as well! We are VERY excited and in just these two days already enjoying the benefits of Homeschooling (no morning rush, no homework in the evening, RELAXING evening as a family, sleeping in later, no time schedule…we do what we want when we want :)) All glory to God for giving me the opportunity to homeschool my kids!!!

7 Likes

Good for you! I am so looking forward to less rushing. Were your kids excited to be homeschooled or sad at all to leave their school and friends(sorry if you’ve posted about that already). I’m a little nervous to tell our kids. I think they will have a mixture of emotions about it.

1 Like

My kids are home bodies!! :slight_smile: They love being home & since we do so much “socializing” with friends and family from church, they’re not missing out on hanging out with friends :slight_smile: In fact, this will give us more time to socialize!! But learning first then play :wink: Or vice versa! LOL!! Luxury of homeschooling. But of course we will have structure, schedules! But flexible!!

1 Like

@HSintheCity Congratulations! Get ready for an amazing journey.

2 Likes