Not teaching formal reading?

@triton17 THANK YOU for sharing with everyone and for taking the time out to do it! The scholastic books sound intriguing. Sometimes I don’t mind “busy work”, as it also fosters working independently:) I have already purchased Popsicle sticks in preparation for this and I’m so excited to get started!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the questions! Looks like a great list. Also thanks for sharing the scholastic resource, I will have to check into that. Happy homeschooling :smile:

1 Like

Curious question: Are you able to login to scholastic? Do you login as a teacher? Do you have a teacher’s account? Do you also order books? I am just curious because when I tried to sign up they said I needed to be an actual teacher at a school (this was years ago.) And I wanted to sign up to get at the book orders for my kids - I loved book orders when I was a kid! (I know slightly off subject - sorry. :slight_smile: )Thanks!

No, I don’t have an account with scholastic (at least not any more). I just go to scholastic.com - then I click on the tab on the right that says “SHOP the teacher store” - you can add things to your cart and check out like anyone. There are so many great, tempting resources. There is of course the scholastic book club that we all remember getting flyers for when we were in school. You may need to be a teacher for the book club, but not just for general ordering off of their website. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask anything else :slight_smile:

@sgrrrbear the last time I tried, which was a few years ago, Scholastic wasn’t letting homeschoolers have an account anymore:(

I just went to scholastic.com and selected register. Under the teacher option it has a place to give school location as home school so it seems as if they do allow such accounts.

@beaniemom great!! I haven’t tried in years because they used to deny hs! Thanks for letting me know:)

That would be so amazing and awesome if they allowed that - if any of you are able to sign up with out a school and a confirmation of teaching status - could you post your success and let me know? Thanks so much!! :slight_smile:

I’m curious about what people want to sign up for at scholastic (I don’t mean that snidely - I’m actually curious as to what I’m missing out on). We are able to order from scholastic without signing up or creating an account of any sort. So what is the purpose of signing up? Is this for a book club or something? Thanks :slight_smile:

I looked at the Scholastic Store and it does look like you can order a lot of books from them. But some of the books say: School Market only. If you look up on the tabs with the scholastic store you will see a tab that says: Scholastic reading Club. This has only been open to public school teachers. It is a club where you get flyers every month featuring new books (TAB, Arrow, Honeybee, etc) at a cheaper rate - also you get to collect points for free books and other resources. I really loved it as a kid and miss it as a homeschooling mom. Does that help at all? I hope so - I am bad at explaining things sometimes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, that explains it perfectly. I order tons of “teacher resources” from the Teacher Store - and for that I don’t need an account. I didn’t realize people were talking about the book clubs. Thanks for clearing that up! :slight_smile:

Oh good, glad I could help. :slight_smile:

Fantastic list of questions triton17!! I second your thoughts on the Scholastic Ready to Use Independent Reading Management Kit. I used the grades 2-3 in my classroom and it was a big hit, now that I am homeschooling I will be using these gems as well. Thanks for the reminder!

1 Like

Thanks for commenting and bumping this up! This corresponds well to the Reading Comprehension question I posted yesterday and someone even made reference to the question sticks above in one of the replies. Love this forum…so many helpful people willing to share their experiences!!

2 Likes