Homeschool Burnout

We will be finishing our 3rd 9 week period this week, and we are dragging. Our enthusiasm has greatly diminished, and it feels like we are just going through the motions. This is my second year homeschooling, and I don’t remember having this same feeling last year. How do some of you get refreshed and keep the momentum going?

2 Likes

We took a week off and retooled. We kept the same curriculum but changed how we use it. It worked well for us. I hope you can find a solution! It is difficult to trudge through when you are feeling like that!

1 Like

I’ve not been there yet but I’d suggest a week off, a field trip or an interest led self study project.

1 Like

We do six weeks on 1 week off and spend that week having fun, playing games etc… by the time we get back to school everyone seems to be back on point, certain things they didn’t understand suddenly click. And like Michelletown sometimes changing up HOW you use the curriculum you already have will help you get through it. I hope this helps.

5 Likes

I felt like this right before Christmas. We weren’t planning to take a two week break at the holiday but we did. I ended up feeling so much better when we came back in January. I’ve been doing better since then. I am starting to drag a little again but that has more to do with the snow, snow and more snow we keep getting. I want to let my kids be outside more and I can’t. So I am going a little stir crazy inside, but that has more to do with weather than homeschooling.
I am also trying to bring in lapbooks for mu daughter which changes things up. And we are doing a spring garden unit (we haven’t done a full on unit since Christmas) which will hopefully be fun. Maybe changing up some of the lessons could help?

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this! I am excited to hear others’ ideas!

I was feeling like this too. I changed our school day routine. In the morning we do a lot of our reading now for science and history. I was “trying” to read in the afternoons, but just couldn’t get excited after a long day so we were very behind where I wanted to be. We are more excited now and take time to look up the things that interest the kids instead of rushing, which wore me out. A few days ago my 11 year old said he likes starting the day together, that was answered prayer. So if your bored, I suggest changing it up. Good luck

1 Like

I usually run into this problem about this time every year. We take a week off. We spend that week resting, doing fun projects or outings, etc. It usually gets us going enough to get through to end of the year.

1 Like

We usually feel blah this time of year too. We follow along with the public school schedule and we take a week off for winter break in February and a week off in April for spring break. It helps to break up the long winter with some fun activities and outings. My children are very easily amusing so for one day we rented a cartoon and had a “sleepover” in the living room. We had pizza for dinner and ate popcorn. They had so much fun just being goofy at home! I think it gave us all new energy to hit the books.

1 Like

We’re there too, especially since it’s spring break for the public schools. The kids heard so many times last week, “Have a great spring break!” that no matter how i reminded them come Monday morning there were tears they didn’t have the week off. So we switched it up yesterday. The 1st and 3rd grader spent an hour on math &/or grammar computer games, and science was “done” searching for kid fun astronomy videos. Then the 3rd grader had to write a paragraph on what she wants to do on a sputtering break. Today we’re off to the library to research history so then we will come home and create a mural of Sparta and Athens. I’ll use other subjects as they fit, or not.
It’s been raining for days and doesn’t dry up enough between storms. We’re all stir crazy, affected by the time change, and allergies have stirred up. I’m tempted to crawl under the covers until the sun comes again.

1 Like

I just finished reading this article about creating a “sabbath” schedule for your school year!!! Check it out!!! I think I’m going to take this route :smile:
http://angelinainlouisiana.blogspot.com/2010/09/and-on-seventh-day-god-rested-using.html?m=1

4 Likes

Wow! Not follow the public school system? This is definitely an idea to take seriously. Thank you for the link.

2 Likes

Yup love the fact that even though you are taking every 7th week off there is still more than enough time to take some extra weeks off, it really helps with productivity and then you can still use a few weeks for unexpected time off, sickness, family visits etc… I started doing this in September last year and feel the difference already. My children are the ones who remind me it’s almost time (usually on the 6th week), we can all feel when the 7th week is approaching.

3 Likes

I LOVE the idea of 6 weeks on and 1 week off. Thank you for sharing this!

1 Like

That is so awesome!! I think we will definitely start this in the fall!!! Thank you for sharing! :smile:

1 Like

When we feel that way, we take a week off and I work out a new schedule. Just a change of routine make a difference. I also throw in something new throughout the year. Like a unit study. If it’s march we’ll do one on st patricks day. Something relevant to the holiday our season. Maybe a change of scenery would help. Take a field trip.

Great article! Thanks for sharing. I love the idea of a month off in December to focus on Jesus and slow down and enjoy the season. Who doesn’t feel rushed at Christmas?

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for sharing this with us. This is an answered prayer to our family. I think I will also call it “The Sabbath Week”

1 Like

I already planned out our year round schedule using this :slight_smile: I think it’s awesome!! My kids are a little thrown off with the thought of schooling during summer time while other friends are out of school but I reminded them that there will be plenty times where they’ll be on break while their friends are in school :wink:

2 Likes

We were trying something similar but weren’t quite hitting the mark (more like 9 weeks on and 2 or 3 off) but I really like the flow of this! We also took off the entire month of December this past Christmas for the first time and it was WONDERFUL! I have been wondering what I was going to do about this summer break (how long to make it) and now, in light of this suggestion of 6 on and 1 off, I think I am going to re-vamp next year’s plan to go this route and go with 4 weeks off for this summer rather than 6 or 7 which I was debating! Thank you for sharing this @HSintheCity and also @Fawn for raising this question! It is a real struggle for most of us I think to find the right flow. We’re 3 years in (still very new on the homeschooling scene ourselves) and still trying to find that balance. I’m excited to try this! :slight_smile:

4 Likes