History Through the Ages as a stand alone?

I love the idea of a hands-on curriculum, and I’m really interested in the Homeschool in the Woods materials. However, I don’t know if I’ll be leaving important things out if I use their unit studies only. I have heard some say they use MOH as a spine, and then they add in unit studies or the like. But I’m afraid it might be too overwhelming to have so much to look and go through… any advice is appreciated!

I am using History Through the Ages: Time Travelers American History Studies for my 11 and 8 year olds they are my very hands-on kinesthetic children. I have the 11 yr. old do some extra reading, but over all we are just using the unit studies. It is going great! They love it and ask to do history everyday. Things stick so much better with these two when they are active. All other history curriculums have not stuck with them as well. I figure that it is the point of doing history.

1 Like

Thank you! I think it’ll be the same for us. Almost everything we do is hands-on, but I was just concerned with using it as my only source for history. Any thoughts?

I’m going to be using History Through the Ages along with reading. I’m going to borrow books from the library and I’m actually going to do both reading and history with HTA. I just purchased the American Revolution and The Colonies, so we’ll have to wait and see, but I don’t want to do it as a simple stand alone. My son tends to learn better when he has hands on and reading. I’m hoping to find some cool, easy chapter books and some picture books that my reluctant reader can get into. Plus there are all sorts of videos and things that can be used to tie those together.

1 Like