Encouraging a friend to homeschool

I just recently started homeschooling and now I have a friend who is very interested in homeschooling her child. What can I say to help encourage her and what kind of advice would you recommend for myself as a new home schooler guiding her?

1 Like

I would discuss with her what you go through daily, and how homeschooling works. I know that there are some people that think homeschooling is super easy. That in fact is not the case, there is a lot of organization, a lot of time, and willingness to put into it. I would suggest that she should read some things online as well. You can encourage her by telling her how much you love homeschooling, but also letting her know that it isn’t always easy.

@emt_jae When I was considering homeschooling my youngest child (who has learning challenges), a friend whose daughter has the same genetic disorder recommended that I use summer as a homeschool trial period. It gave us the opportunity to see how it would work without the pressure of having to make a final decision. It went well and I opted out of public school and we began full-time in the fall. But I needed that summer trial period to see if I could do it and if it would work for her.

2 Likes

I recently made a packet for encouraging a family to homeschool, using one of those plastic folders with a snap button (I purchased mine at 3 for $1 at Dollar Tree). Inside I included some articles and items I have found really helpful to myself and my family:

And then I would suggest adding anything or any thought you have personally found to be encouraging to you, since you have already made the decision to homeschool, and I am sure you know the reasons why. :wink:

1 Like