Cohesive language arts program?

We used The Good and the Beautiful Langage Arts curriculum. It is free online. Just google the name. It is reading, phonics, spelling, poetry, character building, etc, all rolled into one. We just finished up Kindergarten and both my son and I loved it. It was so easy to follow, very little planning needed. We will be using it next year as well. She recently came out with a history curriculum too! Starting with the 1st and 2nd grade curriculums, it adds in writing and grammer as well.

1 Like

We have switched mid-year to the Rod and Staff curriculum.

ā€œRod and Staff English is a unique blend of grammar and composition (writing) that produces outstanding results. Add Spelling by Sound and Structure to build word power, and Rod and Staffā€™s reading (literature) to complete a thorough Language Arts Program.ā€

Iā€™m very pleased with this curriculum. It is biblically sound, and very thorough in its teaching. The approach is excellent as well. I have found that my 4th grader has been able to remember what she has learned with this series. For example from her English book, when I ask her to tell me what a verb phrase is, or even a verb, she is able to. She understands and remembers what it is and how to use it. That is of course the goal but I didnā€™t find we were reaching it before trying this curriculum. A frequent reminder was needed, which was indicative that she hadnā€™t really learned it enough to remember it. So Iā€™m very happy with this, you can see why.

You can find it at http://www.milestonebooks.com/list/Building_Christian_English_Series/

There is also a curriculum I have read about, but never tried it. It is called Character Quality Language Arts. It encompasses all aspects of the language arts as well. You can try it for a whole month with a free download sample from their website.

2 Likes

Update on my language arts choices. My curriculum budget was maxed out, so I was trying to find a less expensive alternative to EIW. We are doing My Fatherā€™s World with the older kids and it has Writing Strands scheduled in the plans, so I found the 2 levels my kids will need plus the book about evaluating writing for less than the price of one of the books new on eBay to cover writing. I really like the approach of the program, the plans are already done and I spent under $13. Somewhere (may have been on one of these discussion boards but I donā€™t remember) I came across the McGraw Hill website which has free printable grammar workbooks for elementary grades. These seem to have good, age-appropriate explanation and cover the necessary topics, so I downloaded these and we will give those a try. Hereā€™s the link if anyone wants to check them out: https://www.mhschool.com/reading/treasure_workbooks/national.html

We are still doing reading and spelling as planned above. If I had an unlimited budget, I would probably have purchased EIW, the program looks great, but not wanting to break the bank forced me to find other less expensive options that I think will also work great and if they do will save us lots of money.

2 Likes

Hiiiā€¦ did u get d the good and the beautiful kindergarten curriculum for free. If possible could you share it, cos I want to try it n c if it works for my 4 year old daughterā€¦ I heard tat d first edition was free, but not able to find them anywhere. It would be of great help to us.
TIA

When you go to the website, select the preK - 7 grade option. You can download the kindergarten language arts curriculum for free.

1 Like

Did you ever use Trail Guide? I am looking at this for next year.