Are many of you buying curriculum now?

I am just curious about how many people are looking for curriculum now. I usually sell my used curriculum in June/July on Ebay. I typically wait until then because I always feel like it is the end of the school year and people will be looking for curriculum.
Are you looking now (to buy-not just look)?

1 Like

I look now. I have purchased a couple of items for my daughters third grade year. I check ebay almost everyday and if i see a deal i grab it. It is much easier for my husband and i to purchase throughout the year than all at once. I also sell my curriculum whenever i am done with it on ebay. My children have a 7 year gap so i don’t want to hold on to stuff that i end up not using and have a hard time selling later on. It also helps pay for her next year books.

1 Like

I’m buying now…better prices if buying used now, but better for the seller to wait to list on eBay I think till summer. I have listed a few items on this forum this morning, but the prices are fixed so I’m ok with listing now:)

I have purchased next year’s curriculum for the things I know we will continue (Math U See, Growing with Grammar, Soaring with Spelling) and a few new things (Writing with Ease, WriteShop Junior, elementary Chemistry/Physics ). And I am looking for reading and history curriculum now.

1 Like

I usually start looking at the beginning of the year. By then I know what we have liked so far that year and what we don’t. But I don’t actually start buying until summertime. Usually around July I know exactly what I want and start ordering.

I usually look at curriculum all year long and begin buying right now through the end of May. I spend the rest of the summer making my lesson plans.

2 Likes

I have bought everything for next year already because we use our tax refund to purchase curriculum and so it is one of the first things I buy when that check comes :slight_smile: I am not sure how many others do this too, but I noticed that a few companies already had some sales going in the last few weeks and wondered if they were taking advantage of this? Also, by June/July I am heavily into lesson planning/layout for the next year rather than buying mode. I hope this info helps!

3 Likes

Looking now but will do most of my buying in May when I attend a conference then I will finish up the shopping in June/July for anything I couldn’t/didn’t buy at the conference.

2 Likes

I have been looking for a month, but am waiting for my finances to come through unfortunately. I think that if I look at all my options ahead of time then I will be able to make the wisest and cheapest, most helpful decision. I have and am still doing assessments on my children to see where I need to start them and have saved some curriculum to print, but I am not sure if that will be easier for me or to buy books will be easier as it is going to be my first year homeschooling in September.

I started buying last month. I have a box coming next week, and need a few more things. However, we are also going back to schooling year round, so we will start our 2015-2016 school year early this year. But, I know many people wait until the school year is over!

I’m buying now. I usually don’t buy until June/July. But, this year I’m having a baby in early August, so I decided to school straight through summer then take several weeks off when the baby is born. So, I’ll likely need “next year’s” curriculum around May/June instead of August this year.

I usually wait until the school year is over when I have more time for planning out the next year.

I buy whenever I find a deal. I prefer everything to be bought by the middle of May so that I can work on lesson plans.

1 Like

I’m glad I haven’t started buying yet for next year because I’m getting such great ideas from all you guys!! I’ve been doing a lot of research!

I start figuring out what I want curriculum I want to use for the next year in about November. It is really early I know but that way I can take advantage of any Black Friday sales. I also start looking at Ebay, Facebook groups, homeschool classified, etc. I try to get everything used and at about 50% off. That is my goal at least. Having the extra time to wait for the best deals is nice so I don’t feel panicked and pay more for something, ever though it still happens sometimes.

1 Like

I’ve started buying now. I look on ebay and amazon and whatever I can’t find on there I start buying brand new in June.

I just finished buying all of our curriculum for next year! I feel relieved! I can end up spending so much time looking at different curriculum, rereading catalogs, and spending WEEKS looking at samples and reading reviews! Now I can relax and spend the summer making plans. :smile:

2 Likes

I have bought a couple of things for next year already! But some I am still looking into. I tend to get cabin fever in February and start planning and looking then. Things might not go as fast throughout the year as they do in summer time, but there are shoppers now!

1 Like