Advanced Reading Curriculum or suggestions?

Next Fall I will start the homeschooling journey with my youngest son who is 7 (will enter 2nd grade). He is a bright boy and very advanced in his current PS class, to the point that he is bored and does not want to go to school because he is bored. We are riding out the rest of the school year since we are down to the final stretch. He came to me one day and asked me if I would just teach him because I would challenge him! I love that homeschooling was his idea!
I have been researching curriculums and am having difficulties deciding on a reading program. He reads very well and comprehends books at a 5th grade level. I feel like all of the reading programs I have looked at will not challenge him, but I also don’t want to push him too far ahead.
I’m hoping to find some great ideas here!
Thanks all in advance!

1 Like

My middle daughter is literally in the exact same situation. We are riding out this year and HSing next year. I am not doing a reading curriculum with her. She reads on about a 6th grade level (she is 8). I am going to continue to challenge her in other areas, encourage her to read, do reading comprehension and read aloud to her.

Here is a thread I started about it, lots of good suggestions!

1 Like

I would suggest you check out the ambleside.com book lists for years 1-3. Excellent, high quality children’s literature that is written at a much higher level than most modern writing. There is a reading list in particular but some of the history selections are quite fun as well, especially the books by James Baldwin.

1 Like

Just because he CAN read a higher level doesn’t mean he is necessarily ready maturity-wise for a level that is grades ahead. My son can read pretty much anything, so I just make sure he always has books from the library. Some fiction, non-fiction, biographies, how-tos…We also do Sonlight, which is literature based and has a good selection of quality books - some that push him.

I personally wouldn’t base a curriculum on whether it has challenging books, as long as it has quality books. It is so easy to supplement to push him if you feel the need to do that.

I’m sure once you start engaging his mind in ALL subjects he will enjoy being able to read books of ALL levels. Sometimes school gets so challenging that it’s nice to be able to settle down and read an easier book.

BTW, best decision ever was buying my son a basic kindle (doesn’t have internet access) and borrowing kindle books from the library. Don’t even have to leave my home to do it! :wink: (we also have plenty of real books - they will never be obsolete in this house)

1 Like